• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Shutdown initiated by NT AUTHORITY\ SYSTEM - How to stop this EASILY!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gazzrawly

How to stop this EASILY - System Shutdown initiated by NT AUTHORITY\ SYSTEM

First off i started getting this yesterday and it hacked me right off. I'd installed nothing that wud trigger such a trojan/virus and i believe its just a hole in XP and maybe other operating systems out there by MEGASHAFT! Anyway moving along.....

There is a sequence which i took...They r as follows...

1. IMPORTANT! DISCONNECT YOUR ISP/ROUTER FROM YOUR NIC
2. Reboot your O/S
3. IMPORTANT! Enable some sort of FIREWALL (XP's own firewall works great thats what i used).
4. Plug your ROUTER/ISP back into your NIC/Box etc

...Your system will stop shutting down...

5. Download the patch for your version of windows (most likely XP i havent seen a problem with any otehr O/S yet, Oh, and BTW if u dont know what version of windows u have, it's most likely the 32bit version.) That can be found here..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

6. Install the patch
7. Remove the firewall and restart. That should be all :)

For extra measures i took some more action against this to make sure it didnt come back. This is what i did...

8. Went to Start/Run/(typed in) Services.msc/ Locate the remote procedure call (RPC) NOT the Locator and double click it.

9. Click Recovery Tab and instead of Restarting the comp after each failure, Select RESTART THE SERVICE for every drop down menu. This will be sure to kill off ANY chance of this error or whatever it is happening again. Good luck....gazz

Last edited:
Back