• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are my temps still this high??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aaron Burton

Really high temps with SLK-800u and 92mm tornado

I have an AMD athlon xp 2700 and a SLK 800u which I just lapped. My case isn't terribly nice, it's an aluminum skyhawk (they're almost all identical) with a Tt smartfan II for intake in the front, the stock fan on the window on the side, a 92mm vantec tornado on the HSF. for exhaust, I have a lonely 60mm stock fan on the back, which I plan on replacing with a couple 60mm Tt fans in the near future. Here's my problem: Ambient temps run at about 24 degrees, but my diode in MBM 5 shows up at 45 degrees, and my socket shows up at 37 degrees (at idle). With load, it's more like 50 diode, 45-48 socket. My CPU is running at 205 fsb and 1.750v

Why is this happening?? I have a vacuum cleaner dumping air on my cpu, and opening the case does nothing. Argh!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm going to take a guess and say that its one of two things. Your case airflow seems a little lacking, but then again you say that removing the side panel does nothing, so forget that for a bit. Maybe you're not seating the HSF correctly. What kind of thermal compound are you using? I have two SLK-800s in my hot dually using Shin Etsu 751 and I never see even 40* load.

Are you using the instructions provided on their site. Also, remember that the more flat you make your base, the less you need. You only need VERY thin layer on the core.

you sure you put enough pressure on it?? if the hs is on too loose it wont make good contact and will give you bad temps.. thats one of the reasons why i hate the bolt on heatsinks they're a pain when it comes to putting on the right amount of pressure

Back