• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing nForce Drivers with Win98SE on A7N8X Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pat

Just opened the manual.

It states I can't install the drivers unless I create a directory & copy my win98 files to the new directory. This is crazy1

The manual states to creat the directory Win98 SRC Copy all files on the Win98 CD(excluding sub-directories) from the Win98 folder of the win98 cd to the new directory.

You then install the drivers & when it ask for the win98 CD you direct it to this directory.

Is this true?

Is there an easier way?

How do I till I have version 2.0? I do have Bios 1005

Thanks,

Pat

You should be able to use the cd without copying the win98 files to your hdd, just point to the cdrom with the win98 cd in it, when it asks for the drivers.

Many people do copy the win98 folder to thier hdd so they don't have to put the cd in everytime they install software or hardware that requires the win98 drivers.

I see no reason that you have to do it, but it does save some time instead of having to constantly swap cd's during an installation.

Jim

From my experiences with attempting to install an Nforce2 motherboard within Win98 SE (an Abit, but the same situation applies with the Asus), I strongly recommend that if you have the space, that you do as they ask and copy the entire Win98 CD onto the hard drive in the specified directory prior to installation.

The Nforce2 Drivers for Win98 SE are very flaky at best, and installation of all the features (NIC, Soundstorm), is from my experience a 50/50 chance at best.

The best thing to do is to follow the instructions as it will increase your chances of a proper installation. In terms of my experience, my attempts at installation in Win98 SE failed completely (I wish I had thought about copying the Win98 SE disk onto the HD), and I just gave up and bought WinXP, but I have seen other people who have had success.

I just plan on following the instructions. I went to a local Mom & Pops Computer Store today & he recommended to to do it. He also said not to upgrade to XP till I have to reformatt my HD. He recommended to re-install Windows before it boots-up & finds the new M/B installed.

I usually go to the Registry & delete the HKey-local machine\Enum & all below it. This removes the M/B from registry file & forces it to rebuild the data.

At this time I don't plan on using the Storm Sound, Firewall, or SATA at this time. I will just have to live with my SB card.

Pat

Back