• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone use silent Zalman NB coolers with IS/IC7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Derivative

Wondering if anyone has experience with these. Model NB47J, has no fan but supposedly is very good heatsink. i want to make this pc quieter but still run at high fsb (260+.)

any overclockers here use this or similar heatsink?

cherryp00t said:
hehe hard to push 260+ fsb on passive cooling ;d you'll have to get some fans =d

Good case ventilation can provide sufficient airflow, when combined with a good 'bare' heatsink on a hotspot like the NB.
The small fans typically used on 'active' NB coolers pushes very little air, and due to its small size, suffers from a rather large dead spot in the center. Not very impressive.

Here are some pics of my Zalman on my IC7....I also added the origanal NB fan to the top of it to make it active. Works like a charm!!!

NB_2_378x287.JPG

NB_1_328x435.JPG

NB_3_421x317.JPG

Has anyone been able to find a pre-Zalman and post-Zalman temperature comparison? Of course it depends greatly on total case airflow: I don't think a passive NB heatsink would work expecially well in my case (Lian Li PC-60 with no added fan spots), though a second rear exhaust fan in my case would definitely benefit the NB.

The zm-NB47j should perform better due to more mass and a larger overall area.

Here's my ZM-NB47J on my IS7:

nbinstalled.jpg

Does a better NB fan really let you overclock any higher? I want to get rid of my IS7-E NB fan simply because it is a whiny little bugger.

I like the Zalman, but the idea of a passive NB scares me even though I have a side case fan blowing directly at the NB and CPU.

I dunno I may go for the Thermaltake Tiger or even the revised Abit fan. Any tips?

Back