• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I replace the zalman 700cu fan with a tornado?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OcLinNoob

Anyone know if i can do this? I know the zalman fan is 92mm. i'm thinking of getting a tornado in there for better cooling. Also I want to know if the 80mmx38 would fit my case? I can easily hold 80mmx25 fans. Dunno if it would work with the 38mm. Whats the 38mm for height? Width? Lentgh LMK Asap gonna order soon thanks

This has been the question everyone has been asking about the Zalman... I've yet to see or hear of anyone actually doing it!

I assume you could take out the stock fan and place a tornado on top of it, but I believe the tornado wouldn't fit inside the 7000cu like the stock slow fan.

I think there both the same size i'm not sure. Anyone tried yet? LMK thanks

you know if you were to put a 92 mm tornado on that thing then why not just get a slk-900?? =d

the purpose of zalmon heatsinks are for quiet comp.. by putting a tornado in its place you're defeating its purpose =d

plus a slk-900 already holds 92 mm fans and should cool just as well if not better than a 7000cu

yea i was going for quit in the begging, but decided cooling is better, so now i'm stuck with a zalman 700cu and 45-50 for a brand new hs seems like a waste of money. I would end up with an xtra hs.

I've done it before. I normally use my 92cm Tornado for my SLK900u but I just happend to come up on a 7000Alcu and tried to mount it on the Zalman. I just took a couple of zip ties, it actually holds nice using the stock bracket, I just unscrewd the fan on it. I dunno, it doesn't cool my as well as my SLK900u. I tried it for a day then slapped my 900u back on.

vwp

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fo....dnm=Zalman+NB+2.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

OcLinNoob said:
yea i was going for quit in the begging, but decided cooling is better, so now i'm stuck with a zalman 700cu and 45-50 for a brand new hs seems like a waste of money. I would end up with an xtra hs.

sell it on ebay or the forums?

Why don't you use clippers to remove the shroud from the tornado at the point where the vanes meet the shroud? Then the fan would be integrated into the HS instead of overhanging it.

The SLK-900 is better for high-CFM situations (aka Tornado). The 7000Cu will do better with low-CFM (aka Zalman's integrated fan).

However, if you want to do this, the best thing would probably be to cut away the Tornado frame, including the vanes. The vanes on the Tornado (which are what makes it 38mm deep) are there to straighten airflow off of the Tornado blades. Since the blades in the 7000Cu are enclosed by the heatsink fins, it doesn't matter if the airflow is straight, and blade-edge turbulence is actually contributing to the cooling in this case.

Well, I do not own a Tornado, so I can't help you there, but, removing the fan from the Zalman is fairly easy. 2 screws to remove the fan assembly, and another 2 screws to remove the fan from the bracket. If you were to cut the Tornado free from its frame, keeping just a bit of the vanes?, and screw those vanes into the bracket, it COULD work.

See the linked photos
http://www.truesunshine.org/images/zalman.jpg
http://www.truesunshine.org/images/fan.jpg

Last edited:
interesting. I can't decide. Hmmm how much does slk-900 cost? I'm thinking about just selling my zalman 700cu than and buying sl-900 with a tornado

Just make sure you get a rheobus for that Tornado. Switching my pc on for the first time with that Tornado made me flinch bad enough to hit my head on the bottom of my desk. It's viciously loud, granted I have 4 Tornado's in my case now, all down-volted. Seriously, don't buy a Tornado without a rheobus, you won't want to turn it on otherwise. I use Vantec's 5.25" rheobus and it works really nice, more inbetween settings than their 3.50" version.

if you've never dealt with higher powered computer fans before than i wouldn't recommend going and getting a tornado. they're serioues when they say it's loud. it really does sound like a hair dryer.

if you want good cooling:noise ratio i'd suggest a slk 900 and an panaflow 92mm M1A. that's a 50 CFM.30Dba fan. great airflow and quiet.

We're talking about replacing the enclosed fan in the CNPS7000. This is a 92mm fan, so the SF2 isn't the best replacement. There is a 92mm Tornado, however.

emericanchaos said:
if you've never dealt with higher powered computer fans before than i wouldn't recommend going and getting a tornado. they're serioues when they say it's loud. it really does sound like a hair dryer.

if you want good cooling:noise ratio i'd suggest a slk 900 and an panaflow 92mm M1A. that's a 50 CFM.30Dba fan. great airflow and quiet.

sorry to disagree, 30dba is okay but 25 is more like silent. You would need a reo even for that one if what you want is a silent computer. I have a nexus too, it requires a tachometer so id rather use the sanyo denki at www.sidewindercomputers.com which is wider than the panaflo

Back