• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk 800u + pelt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

Has anyone tried to use a good high powered pelt with an slk 800u with a full speed tornado fan yet? Given the swiftech's good performance, you'd think the slk800 would be an even better candidate at cooling the hotside of a peltier. Since that air combination is usually as effective as a good watercooling system, I don't think there would be many worries. But then again, I've never tried it. :)

I don't believe the SLK's base is large enough to accomodate a peltier - They are larger than a P4 heatspreader, correct?

However, I believe that a ThermalRight Heatpipe cooler would fit a peltier.

Last edited:
Tyranos said:
Has anyone tried to use a good high powered pelt with an slk 800u with a full speed tornado fan yet? Given the swiftech's good performance, you'd think the slk800 would be an even better candidate at cooling the hotside of a peltier. Since that air combination is usually as effective as a good watercooling system, I don't think there would be many worries. But then again, I've never tried it. :)

The Peltier incurs a loss in efficiency though- combined with the limited surface area that even a large heatsink like the SK7 has, you'll be facing a stiff price in terms of fan noise needed to achieve a good working temperature. Watercooling has neither of these problems.

I have no problem with my tornado's loudness. Its better than the house fans I had before. :)

Don't they make different size peltiers? Instead of 40x40 or 50x50, I could try a rectangular pelt to match the base of the slk.

People like fizz3 are just water cooling fan boys. I had water cooling (a damn good setup) and found it to be not a gear amount quieter and no better performing than air.

AMD_Me said:
People like fizz3 are just water cooling fan boys. I had water cooling (a damn good setup) and found it to be not a gear amount quieter and no better performing than air.

Thanks for your opinion. :rolleyes:

By definition, watercooling has advantages over aircooling, even without the efficiency loss of a peltier. This is simply because watercooling employs a sizeable radiator, which can accomodate larger fans without penalties. Larger fans move more air for the same price in terms of noise produced.
The system's efficiency is further increased by the swift heat removal from the CPU due to fast flowing water, and by the placement of the radiator- at a place where it can draw fresh air, in contrast to the forced in-case positioning of a heatsink fan (though a side duct could alleviate that problem).

Of course, in the end it comes down to personal preference; if you want absolute cooling power without the (perceived) risk of leaks and without noise concerns, then a high powered peltier and a massive airflow setup would fit the bill. Others may want only modest cooling, and don't want to worry about condensation nor leaks either --> standard aircooling would be fine.

AMD_Me, if you seriously didn't get better performance with watercooling you messed up either in research or planning of your setup (99% of the battle with WCing).

As far as it working, it would work yes, but to what extent i'm unsure. I think load temps will be the same between that setup and a WCing setup. your idles will be lower...cpu's don't crash when idling they crash when being pushed. Also you have to worry about condensation. I would like to see the load temps after a half hour from your setup Constantinos, I'd guess they would be significatly higher, the reason is a cpu at load doesn't put out near the wattage as one on full load, and a slk900 or that swiftech is not able to dissipate 226watts...even with a tornado, I think that would be very very hard....a 100 watt pelt would be more like it...

Back