• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU fan duct HOWTO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

I have an MCX462+T with a 92 mm tornado on it. Currently the tornado is blowing air from the case which is already a little warm onto the heatsink. This may hinder my heat dissipation a little. I was thinking of adding another 92 mm vantec stealth directly above Tornado on my window but i dont know were to getthat ducting matterial so air from stealth dosnt get sucked out of case from 2 rear exasaust case fans. Also how would i attach the duct to the fans. Thank you for your help very much.

if you want a striaght shot out, you could always use pvc pipewith mounting and tape for insulation on the case wall...

Constantinos said:

I just need to know were i can find the parts and how to connect them becuase i dont wanan buy the kit. I dont like buying things online.

Then where the poop did you buy the rig in your sig?

I wanna know if the Xoxide kit fits a 92mm fan on a SLK900u BTW.

I got all the stuff in my rig at a MArketPro computer show at discounted prices. I got almost everything at least 10%-20% off retal prices. I dont know anything about the xoxide kit. I just wanna build something similar for my system. Would a vantec stealth be pushing enough CFM for the tornado?

How do i make the rest of the stuff. What is the exact name of the coil thing so i know wut to tel lthe guy at home depot. Also do they have any small sizes that would be good for 92 mm fans. Whats a good size for it. Also will the stealth fan be giving the tornado enoguh outside cold air?

92mm is 3.62 inches so 4" should still be fine its called dryer exhaust line or something like that the other 2 parts will be
1) the mount from the fan to the exhaust line / plywood should do or some trimmed PVC pipe
2) something to hold the exhaust line in place over the CPU like metal flashing, 80/20, plywood ect.
all in all it is up to you to find what will work in your case and what tools and materials you can work with

How would i use plywood to attach fan to the exaust line. Also will electrical tape work in securing exaust line to CPU fan? Also will vantec stealth fan push enough cold air for tornado?

So your saying i need another tornado cause the stealth only puches like 28 CFM and the tornado puches 119 cfm. What would happen if i used vantec stealth anyway? Also how would i conenct fans to duct?

With a great difference in CFM it will cause back pressure (if you seal it to the heat sink) on the other fan and could cause it to burn out prematurely.

Well if i add another tornado the noise level will only increase by like 3 dba but still its ridicoulusly loud. Is their any other way i can get nice cold fresh air to my cpu fan?

Ok, so in my windows just have a 92 mm hole that is attached to coil and than coil attaches to tornado on CPU right? How would i go about attaching this stuff and will the dryer exaust vent be good?

The dry exhaust duct will be good, its ducting material and like stedeman said, don't put it on your hs (directly), but put it above it say by...an inch or 1/2 an inch (I think this is what he meant by not putting it 'on' the heatsink) with some PVC, and then you can use zip ties or superglue or something to attach the fan to the pvc.

Once you got it on the PVC you can attach the duct to the fans. Ever notice how its duct tape? And Duck Tape is merely a brand of it :)? So if you have any duct tape (or moreover masking tape would work...its just not as strong of an adhesive ((thats still removable)) so it may come off) and then put some tape onto your fan's so they are attached to the duct...its just the diameter difference is waht I'm not sure about if it would fit on easily and not have too much resistance (trying to go back to its normal diameter.)

Does that help? :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

I guess. I got another idea though. What if i dont have a fan on my side panel. I attach duct directly to fan and than to hole in sidepanel. Would the tornado be pulling in cold air from outside or will this not really do anything. I was thinking of doing that because i dont wanna buy another tornado to mount on my side panel.

Back