• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 x 512 or 2 x 256 pc3700 for p4c800 deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiggin

With this set up would it be better to get 2 x 256 sticks of Buffalo PC3700 ram for $120 or 1 x 512 stick for $99? How much of a difference does the dual channel make? And can this mobo support either choice? Thanks in advance guys.

CPU: 2.4c - $172 @ NewEgg
MB: p4c800 deluxe - $180 @ NewEgg
Video Card: Sapphire 9800np - $259 @ NewEgg
CD-RW: Lite-On 52x32x52 - $10 AR @ Best Buy
Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz - $40 @ New Egg
HD: 80 GB WD - $60 AR @ BB

Im in the process of making a similar setup, I have the good stuff already, but the mobo and processor and memory sucks. So i have to buy MEM, MOBO, CASE, CHIP. Anyways, im going for that same chip, and mobo. If you want to overclock, and I think you want to since this is "ocforums", this chip can get speeds of up to 4.0ghz on expensive cooling systems, but with a little upgrade on the heatsink and fan, you can get 3.3-3.5 gigs on air. Im telling you this because newegg apparently is selling the "good" chips (made in malay or rico) and you could take advantage of this, with that mobo also. And finally what got me started, the memory is what will hold you back, so if you could, you should get the best ram you can get. Im sure you have used pricewatch, some golden OCZ 3700 will serve you very good ($170 shipped), or check these ADATA's out ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Adata.html ) 2x256mb of adata pc4000 have been rated at 600ddr, and are $180 shipped. And about the Dual Channel, I would buy 2 to take advatage of twice as much bandwidth, and if 1 dies, uve got the other one. Just my 2 cents.

This is asked way too much =P

I always though one stick was better, but with dual channel out now its hard to say. With one stick you can OC the memory better, but with dual channel I believe the ram is faster than one stick.

Your memory with be about 1500m/bs better with the dual channel set-up. And your system performance is always better with dual channel. Spend the extra 20.00 bucks and buy 2 stick's instead of one. Also make sure it is dual sided ram. You will get lower memory score's if you use single sided stick instead of doubled sided. For more info on the subject check out this thread over at asusboards.com

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=52021&highlight=double+sided+ram

Bigtoe is the master overclocker and will help you if you PM

Back