• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting rid of high temps with SLK-800U: Bolting on tight enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aaron Burton

I have an SLK-800U, Athlon xp 2700+ and an A7N8X-dlx in a Skyhawk case. My mobo temps are fine, (24c) but my diode and socket temps are ridiculous (45, 37c respectively). I was told that maybe my HSF was not attached tightly enough, but I don't know how tightly to attach it without crushing the core... Any suggestions? Thx.

What type of fan do you have on there?
I think the Abit bios reports numbers incorrectly BTW.

Tighten the screws down as far as your fingers can. I did that with my 1700 Tbred. No cracked CPU I don't think.

The Skyhawk cases don't have much airflow do they? Run your puter through some gaming sessions or stress testing with the side panel off and let us know what your temps are that way.

I have a 92mm tornado dumping air on this thing, and it makes no difference whether I have the side panel on or off. I also have a Tt Smartfan II for intake.

Ok the fan is great.

What thermal compound do you have? If you used Artic Silver, did you follow their online directions? If you get too much then your temps will not be very good.

Did you happen to move the insocket thermistor closer to your CPU? If you did then your temps will read significantly higher than if it sat lower in the socket.

I'm using AS Ceramique, I spread it thin with a razor, and I've reseated it 3 times. I don't know about the thermistor, but the Diode is still reading almost 50 at load.

The thermistor that came with my Abit KX7 333r mobo was blue. It is inside the socket.

I am sorry, I think you had an Abit board. My bad.

The Nforce mobo's report numbers considerally higher than what they technically are. Some individuals are reading temps in the mid 40's with watercooling. Their probe they have touching near the core reads close to 33*C while the BIOS reports it much higher. I believe they released a BIOS to correct the temperature reporting.

When I bolted my SLK 800-U onto my A7N8X-del IIRC the directions that came with it said to slowly tighten all 4 bolts (that come with the HS) in a pattern, all the way down so the springs were fully compressed. Which I did, with no troubles + way better temps than my Volcano 9. I double checked this procedure with some reviews of the SLK 800-U I found on the web, where the test beds clearly showed fully compressed springs.

I'm sure I have the most up to date bios, and the temp sensor near the core wouldn't account for the on-chip diode sensor, would it? I thought there was something on the chip, am I wrong?
thanks

LOL... You would need an industrial size electronic handheld drill to screw that heatsink as tight as a regilar clip on one. I swear, my fingers were literaly cut and bleeding after I put on my friends clip on heatsink.

Just make sure your heatsink is on snug AND EVEN.

snug - very little space inbetween

you can make sure it's even by placing a ruler ontop of the HS, then lie down on the floor and stare directly at your hs and check if the ruler is level with the floor.

Snug is very hard to describe in words, maybe this will help. You want it snug enough so it does not rock or slide, or move at all on that core and maybe even tighter. Heavy heasinks need a tighter screwdown. It has to fully make contact with the core. As for making it even maybe count how many turns you do to one screw and do it for the rest. It doesn't have to be completely perfect. Use proper judgement.

AS3 said:
snug - very little space inbetween

you can make sure it's even by placing a ruler ontop of the HS, then lie down on the floor and stare directly at your hs and check if the ruler is level with the floor.

Heh... or even bust out the leveler (ruler with the bubble in it) just make sure the surface you put your motherboard on is level.

/quote/
Heh... or even bust out the leveler (ruler with the bubble in it) just make sure the surface you put your motherboard on is level.
/quote/

lol, i was going to say the "leveler" (yes i know what it is)
but then i thought what ordinary person would just have one of those lying around.

sigh....i have always been a very simple guy when it came to solving problems, my teachers would always think of these ways that took 1 min. to solve a certain math problem but required alot of memorizing. Then came me, i devised a solution that would take twice the time but almost any 8 year old could understand it.
F*** COMPLICATED THINGS!!! lol

Yeah, it's snug and level. but that doesn't explain the high temps. My exhaust sucks- would that explain it? I can feel a hot pocket between the NB and video card. Could that be it? I'm lost.

few things to try:
-lap HS
-increase case airflow
-reapply me or my ceramique friend
-go on to your mobo manufacturers website and make sure if you have the latest bios
-search the web to see if anybody has been having the same problem with the same HS and MB as you
-put on your stock 'hs' check temps then put on your SLK-800 and check temps, if your stock is better than what can i say? get your money back for the SLK

I've reapplied ceramique 3 times, my temps are roughly 8 degrees better with the slk then with Tt Volcano 9...
I better get some good exhaust.

Thanks

Err... Should I have mentioned that I'm overclocking this thing from 166 to 200 FSB, and that I'm at 1.75 core voltage? That might be helpful...

I still don't like these temps.

p.s. Lapping did nothing for the heatsink.

Back