• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing stock heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CSMRaider

I installed my stock hs/fan several months ago without being a good boy and using AS3. I used the wax pad on that came on the hs :(

Now I want to remove the stock hs and get a better hs/fan to oc with. Any ideas on how to get the old one off and clean the cpu?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

you pretty much remove it the wya you put it on... get the screw driver press down lift out and it'll come right off..
the pad that came with the heatsink prob melted by now you'll need to scratch it off and do a good job of cleaning it off =d

Any suggestions on what to use to clean it off? Acetone? Soap/water? Damaging my 1600+ wouldn't be the end of the world, but not on my to-do list. :)

Lap The Heatsink, poish the lap job with brasso, clean off the residue from polishing with acetone, then clean the cpu with acetone. then use as3 and spread a paper thin layer on the cpu and install the heatsink. I You have any higher CFM Fans kickin around try to rig that fan to your heatsink.

Get the thing off the opposite way you put it on, but don't let the retention clip fool you - it's one beast of a spring. Also do not let the screwdriver bounce off - I nearly killed my motherboard doing that :eek:

As for the crappy pad, scrape it off the core and the heatsink with a credit card and then clean the HS/Core with alcohol and cotton buds.

Apply AS3 as per the Instructions

Yeah, my next decision is to figure out what fan to use. I'll be using either a slk800 or slk900, I need to check capatability with my ECS K7S5A. I'll use the slk900 if it'll fit.

My computer's in my bedroom and right next to me on my desk, so I think I will try to go the fairly quiet route. Somewhere between a Vantec Stealth and a Tornado. Maybe a 92mm Panaflo H1A. Any suggestions?

Somewhere between Stealth and Tornado? LoL that leaves erm ALL other options open.

for $12 pick up a Thermal Take smart case fan II with variable everything. *PLUGPLUGPLUG*

Back