• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton Xp2500 O/C assistance please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skydiver39

I just purchased a Barton XP2500+ 333FSB.
I would like to know what I would do to overclock this puppy beginning witha margin of safety. Limited funds to blow my system right now. Tutition costs are high.. lol
I have the DFI Lan Party Ultra ll Rev A with the latest bios.
2 x 512 Megs of Corsair Exxtreme PC 3500 memory.
Coolermaster Dual Ball fan (looks like a A/C Blower) and a large copper aerodynamic heat sink. Idle the system runs at 98øF and never seen it get higher than 107øF wiht running 3d games.
Please stick to this topic so i do not get lost in rambnlings.

Thank you.

1) Find the limits of your FSB
Your motherboard should get a fairly high FSB, probably 200 or above. Start by reducing the multiplier (CPU clock ratio) to 5.0x to eliminate the CPU internal speed from the overclock. Also set your memort timings to the highest possible too eliminate the memory from the equation. Lock the AGP bus at 66Mhz, and set memory speed to 100%. This will run the memory synchronously with the CPU bus, and gives much better latency and performance. Start out at 166, and bump it up 5Mhz at a time. See if it posts and goes into Windows, then reboot and bump it up again. For the first steps you may want to go in 10Mhz jumps, but beware that you will miss the optimum much more easily. If the computer fails to go into windows back off the 5Mhz and go up in 1 Mhz increments testing each time with long bouts ofPrime95 torture test - if it generates errors in about 10 minutes, back off some more. A stable overclocked system should be able to run Prime95 for more than 12 hours without errors.

2) Optimise memory timings
As your memory can run at 5 - 2 - 2 - 2.0, it may be able to do so at higher frequencies. At the maximum FSB, try individually tweaking the timings by lowering each one and testing with Memtest86. It will start automatically when you put the disk in the drive on bootup. Test for about 20 minutes or one complete cycle after tightening, and if it generates errors then reset the one you just did and try another. Near the limit errors will appear infrequently, but test for about 1 hour to ensure stability. If you have some airflow near your RAM, try bumping up the voltage to 2.6V or 2.7V if you start to get errors.

3) Optimise the CPU speed
To do this, set the voltage to default and CPU interface to normal. Start by raising the multiplier to default, then up it in 0.5x steps. At 200FSB this will bump the speed up in 100Mhz jumps, which is a bit crude but will find the limit quickly. See if it POSTs, then go into the BIOS hardware monitor and look at the CPU temperature. If it is below 40C then all is well, the upper limit for overclocked CPUs is about 50C. Boot into windows and run Prime95 torture test for about 5 minutes. If there are no errors bump it up again, and continue until you get errors. If you get errors then increase the Vcore by one step, and Prime95 for longer or until you get errors. Increase the Vcore again if this happens, but at this stage monitor temperatures closely in the BIOS and use Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor in Windows. Try to keep below 50C. If it goes above or Vcore doesn't allow much more Mhz then you have reached the limit of your CPU, which should be around 2.2-2.3Ghz.

:sn: Copy/Paste ninja strikes again! :sn:

Back