• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upcoming Lapping Article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I recently won a giveaway for a heatsink lapping kit here on the forums from the forum member insulglass, who runs www.easypckits.com, and I have received my prize.

Honoring our agreement, I will write an article for the forum about my experience with the lapping and include pictures. The project and article will be done in the comeing week but before I begin I have a few questions.

Any suggestions as to what you would like to see done?

I plan to lap atleast two retail aluminum AMD heatsinks, one using the correct/preferred straight-lift repeat method and the other using the more popular figure eight/circular method. Pictures will be taken before, during, and after.

Comments, reccomendations, and/or suggestions welcome. :)

i like the idea youre trying different methods, cause there is a lot of confusion between some people about which method to use, after seeing your article and comparing results, theyll be able to decide that by themselves
nice work man! ;)

I have a suggestion for you, although it involves alot of work so you may not want to do it. There has been confusion over how fine of a grit to go to when lapping. Some say 600 and your fine, and anything else just looks better, but doesn't perform better. Some people go to 1500, some to 2000 etc. Could you do a lapping with 600 grit, then test the temps. Remove the HS and lap again to 1500 or so (whatever's in your kit) and retest.

I use the straight-lift repeat method when I lap my heatsinks and waterblocks. I seem to get better results using this method, although it is more time consuming.!!!

Constantinos said:
I might just get one of those a review it for my website www.GeeksWithPCs.com I am sure it will get a good review but i dont know if i should trust to buy ff you. I have no idea who you are and your site dosnt look very credible.

Dang. How did I miss this thread a couple of months ago? BTW, Constantinos did get a kit and work up a review.

Anyway, yes, my site is a little simple. You gotta understand that I am a full time project engineer and normally work 60+ hours per week. I simply don't have the time nor the expertise to manage an extensive site. Not to mention that my "social events coordinator" expects me to spend time with her and the kids on occasion. :D

However, my site is being redesigned. It will have an updated more modern look, with much better graphics and design, and will be more extensive and descriptive. However, it has been my goal from the very beginning to have a site that loads lightning fast. Long flash intros are just not for me. Here's a test page for part of the develoment: http://www.easypckits.com/index2.shtml We still have some ways to go, but get a little further along each week. Many thanks to Wampa at www.extensiontech.net for his help.

I freely admit that my business is small. However, the size of the company doesn't always equate to a substandard product or service. You raise a valid point to consider - but please feel free to check my feedback under "insulglass" at eBay and Heatware. Additionally, you should be able to find plenty of background forum posts and commentary on O/C Forums, Hardforums, and several others. I don't mind customer service challenges! :)

Thanks -

Dave
[email protected]
www.easypckits.com

How's that test coming IMOG?

Mine has been progressing very slowly. With everything
else I have going on these computers are just a side hobby.
Just started Folding@Home too. :D

Anyway, as you'd imagine, it takes some time to test several
types of pastes with various finishes. (mirror vs. 600grit etc ...)
Some of these pastes take several days or more to fully cure.

When I do finally get finished I'll post the results here. :)

I've got a folder with a bunch of pictures in it of everything, but I haven't ever finished it. My situation changed considerably (in love and life) and once I got things organized again, I ended up with a lot less time than I had anticipated.

Anyways, I only have a single system right now, but am building an A64 setup in the summer along with two computers for my grandparents... And I'm hoping to sneak a secondary system for myself in there at the same time. It's looking like this should be a much better time for doing this sort of thing with good quality... If I wasn't worried about the quality of what I produce I would have spit something out a while ago.

As it turns out, things have been a lot quieter around these lapping kits than they were around the time I started this thread... So it might work out that the timeing of the article will work well. I hope thats the case because Insulglass is a good guy from what I've seen on here. It's nice having guys like him and Jab-tech around the forums.

Nothing will be going on with this though atleast until summer. Currently I am the team leader of a electronic workplace monitoring and surveillance research study, gathering information for an independent research paper on the role of amsterdam's culture and society in prostitution, writing C# programs on a biweekly basis (currently we're writing a windows explorer "clone"), studying towards A+ and Cisco certifications, attemping to secure a network management/security internship in the NE Ohio area, and keeping up with my regular coursework while balancing all of that with keeping a girlfriend happy (thats the real challenge)... All without having a job or the time for one and being, virtually, broke. I live with my parents and see them around twice a week for a sit down meal.

Heh, I guess I'm a lot busier than I even realized. Looking over that last paragraph makes me feel like I should be doing something more productive right now. So anyways, yeah, the article is still on the back burner.

he he. ..... sounds similar to my situation IMOG. :D
I too have a folder full of images and not enough time
to get everything organized. Busy learning a new trade
and all.

When I started there was no AS5. Since it's so common now
you know many will ask, so a few tests with that will be needed.
Sigh ... more time. ;)

Best of luck with your new "situation" IMOG. :)

IMOG said:
Heh, I guess I'm a lot busier than I even realized. Looking over that last paragraph makes me feel like I should be doing something more productive right now. So anyways, yeah, the article is still on the back burner.

Not a problem! In the cosmic scheme of things, this is relatively unimportant compared to work, love, family! Take care of business first and just check it out when you can.

Dave
[email protected]

Back