• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vakkert_regn

Registered
When I installed my motherboard and CPU before, I was getting like 52 C on my CPU and then today I finally got the internet back and so I updated Windows 2000 to Service Pack 4 and now I am getting like 42 C. I am just curious if updating oyur Service Pack can change that much in the temp.

What are you using to check your temp? The built i sensors on most motherbaords are usuall not correct when you sample them. It's possible SP4 modified the way a program reads the temp sensors and that's effecting your temps. I'd try reinstalling the temp software. Ofcourse if you're using an external sensor (digidoc or etc) then I'm stumped.

It may change temps slightly because the kernel was update (not something usually done in the service packs). This allows windows to use the processor and ram more efficiently, and thus you may see a drop in temps. But, it shouldn't be that much of a drastic drop.

Back