• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Run Smartfan at Full Speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feyo

Registered
I have two Antec 120mm Smartfans in my case. They have an 1800 rpm capacity, but only do around 1500, even when the MB temp is kinda high. How can I make them work to capacity?

No problemo - about time I did some quality posts (even though it's 11:38PM)

Motherboard monitor 5 - this is one of the most essential tools in the overclocking arsenal - it allows you to monitor voltages and fan speeds from within Windows.

Your fans use 12 volt electricity from the power supply to run. If you have a motherboard that is heavy on the 12V line (one that uses the 12V to generate the CPU power) then the 12V line may sag a little, dropping it's voltage. The information I need is:

1) what power supply, motherboard and processor are you using.
2) what do the voltages in MBM5 say
3) how many accessories do you have in your case and how overclocked is your system?

1. Antec 350W PS, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, and Barton 2800+
2. If you are talking about the 12+ option, the line reads 12V
3. A graphics card is about the only "accessory", I am running at about 2.3 ghz.

Last edited:
I doubt your line is exactly 12V, but from what you say it is probably close enough.

The Antec Smartfans are controlled with a thermal sensor. Most likely your ambient case air is simply not hot enough to make them run at full speed. If you want to force them to run at full speed at all times, you can cut off the thermal diode and connect the two wires.

Yeah, it averages 12.67. My MB temp has gotten up to 34 C, (which is kinda high, from what I understand) and the highest RPM for my fan is 1545. Does this sound right? Also, can you point me in the right direction for riggin' the fans?

Thanks

In general you want intake fans in the front and side of the case and exhaust fans in the back and top. 1545 RPM sounds about normal for 120mm fans.

"only" 2 120mm fans. :) That's fine. You have a wonderful case.

To make it even better, cut out the stamped grills in front of the intake fan and behind the exhaust fan. You can use a dremel or a hole saw, or you can be cheap like me and bend every little piece of metal back and forth until it snaps off and the grills eventually fall out.

Then, take the plastic fan mounts and cut out everything in the middle. They will still hold your fans, but there will be nothing blocking your airflow.

Then get some wire fan grills to save your fingers on the rear fan.

Even with very quiet 120mm fans like Vantec stealths, your case airflow should be great with the SLK3700AMB.

One more thing, JKeefe - is it worth the cost to replace the stock IDE and floppy ribbons with cobra cables to increase airflow?

I assume cobra cables are rounded cables.

Rounded cables almost certainly look better. They are stiffer and hard to get them where you want them.

I prefer flat cables. I can usually fold them so that they are out of the way up against some other flat surface. Used this way, they block less airflow than rounded cables.

Back