• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone tried the Thermaltake (angled)Ducting mod with a slk-800?900? no dead zone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aihyah

Slk-800 + apple jacks box = duct mod:) 92mm to 86x58mm adaptor. *title edited

*edit for new content-can't edit thread title..argh!

n/m, i completed a cardboard duct mod:) it seems to have worked:)
index.pl

after thinking about the thermaltake mod for a while, it still bugged me that a round 80mm duct would still waste air on the rectangular slk. so i decided it might be better to just make a custom one.

took an apple jacks box, whipped out the trusty ruler, and cut it up. taped it together with electrical tape, and then coated the entire thing in electrical tape for kicks and safety. one end is for my zalman 92mm fan @2500rpm. the other end is shaped to fit the odd long narrow of the slk, 86?mm L 58mm W from memory. that way all the air gets where its supposed to. so far idle 40c, load 42c :) thats a nice drop of atleast 4c :)!

mounting was easy, just left the clips from before, taped em up against the sides. then i taped the fan all the way around to totally seal it. that straightened it out too since it was kinda bulging.

the narrowing of the duct from 92 to 58 at the narrowest point probably kills that dead spot pretty good. and well, 92mm fan overhang on the 56.7mm width of the slk is pretty far without a duct:)

old post
this angled duct looks interesting

since theres normally a deadzone with the slk series, and using a blower wouldn't give us the cfm we'd want. anyone try this?

seems it would require some glue or creative attachment. maybe super glue and paperclips? hot glue? i dunno or maybe the clips can hold onto the lower screw holes? i did notice there were very low holes on the heatsink id dint use.

could probably add a 120 or 92mm adaptor to the end to boot to really cram air onto your cooler:)

Last edited:
I've got a better idea ;)

If you feel "creative with hot glue gun" then get yourself some cheap thin aluminium and make 4 trapeziums out of it - one of the parallel sides 92mm, the other 80mm. Put tabs on the slanting edges and bend into shape. Glue away ;) and put a few holes in the aluminium for fan mounting.

Price will probably be less than that ductingmod.

I have been contemplating this, actually. what I was planning out in my head was to take a dead/broken 80mm (92mm has too much overhang) fan, cut out the 4 support struts for the motor assembly, leaving us with a square with an inscribed circle. glue the ductingmod to it, and then attach as normal.

might be a good idea also, be able to use the clips normally then.

I've tried it... i just use the clips and sum tie-wraps to secure it in place.... My temps actually went up from the reduced air pressure...

You guys might wanna try it for youselves.. but when i had my Smartfan2 and TT air duct and SLK all hooked up.. it made no difference.. maybe like a 2c increase in temps after adding it...

I'll check back in to see if you guys get the same results ;)

i guess it might work better if you put a 92 or 120mm with adaptor on it to cram air down it.

wat a piece of crap. maybe you should try those big ducts like from the intake to the cpu

ConquereR said:
hey i got a 6 degree decrease on my load by adding it!

Linkage

your last post on that thread. what's the speed on the smartfans? just so i can get a rough idea on total cfm

I would be warry of adding 92 or 120mm adapters. IIRC you get DECREASED perofmance when you add those adapters in there even with bigger fans at the same db....I think the whole "dead spot" thing is kind of BS, It's nice but I think the added turbulence and fact that the force of air being pushed down in the center is much weaker than the outside causes very little difference.

I haven't done this yet, but I thought of a way to attach the fan on an SLK800 so you can use things like that TT duct. Get 4 small metal pieces maybe 1/2 or so long by 1/4 wide, drill 2 holes in each one, a hole on each end. Screw the duct to the fan but put one of these metal pieces under each screw which leaves you one empty hole on each metal piece. It would be screw, metal piece, TT duct and then fan in that order. Then use the clips like normal but now it clips into the holes on each metal piece instead of the fan holes. Hope that makes sense.

apparently ConquereR just glued the thing to a hollowed out 80mm fan and used the clips aas normal. the same way they ussually accomadate the tornado tall fans i guess.

n/m, i completed a cardboard duct mod:) it seems to have worked:)
index.pl

after thinking about the thermaltake mod for a while, it still bugged me that a round 80mm duct would still waste air on the rectangular slk. so i decided it might be better to just make a custom one.

took an apple jacks box, whipped out the trusty ruler, and cut it up. taped it together with electrical tape, and then coated the entire thing in electrical tape for kicks and safety. one end is for my zalman 92mm fan @2500rpm. the other end is shaped to fit the odd long narrow of the slk, 86?mm L 58mm W from memory. that way all the air gets where its supposed to. so far idle 40c, load 42c :) thats a nice drop of atleast 4c :)!

mounting was easy, just left the clips from before, taped em up against the sides. then i taped the fan all the way around to totally seal it. that straightened it out too since it was kinda bulging.

the narrowing of the duct from 92 to 58 at the narrowest point probably kills that dead spot pretty good. and well, 92mm fan overhang on the 56.7mm width of the slk is pretty far without a duct:)

Last edited:
I have the thermaltake duct sitting on my desk, however I am thinking of just getting some ducting from Homedepot and making my own from the rear fan. Its cheap and I feel will have a lot more benefit.

Back