• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temp question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mito

If the CPU is under heavy load, its temperature will rise. Why? Because of FPU calculations? What really makes a CPU's temp rise?

Mito said:
If the CPU is under heavy load, its temperature will rise. Why? Because of FPU calculations? What really makes a CPU's temp rise?

All those 0's and 1's changing places in the registers of the CPU added to all those transistors turning on and off at a couple billion times a second to charge the mentioned registers requires voltage and its accompanying "push" called current.

"Pushing" requires work right ? Like pushing a lawn mower. That push is called Power which is measured in WATTS, and that my friend is also called "heat".

Basic electricity states WATTS(heat) = I (current) x E(volts)...most modern processors burn between 60-80 watts of power...just like a regular light bulb.

The end result is to push that voltage through the transistors and charge those registers you have to push it there with current. Current and voltage mixed always means heat...also called WATTS.

If your still confused touch a motor thats been "pushing" a car around...you'll figure it out...work means heat, period. ;)

Good answer. Thanks alot!!!
I was wondering because even when the system is idle, the CPU is working (lots of 0's and 1's incoming and outgoing). The kernel is always active. That's why I asked the question...

Back