• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing Front Side Bus While computer is turned on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aeon Flux

I NEED TO CONTACT SILVERSINKSAM, AS I HAVE A OUTST
I have a slight theory of a new system I am trying to devolope for clock based computer(ie: everything out at the moment). It involves changing to system bus and cpu voltage while the computer is turned on. I know changing the voltage while the computer is turned on is safe if wired correctly. I've done that before. I dont know how unstable it would make the computer if you changed the front side bus while the computer is turned on. Im not talking about changing it through the bios. Im talking about changing it say with a dip switch or another kind of switch directly on the motherboard. Let me know what you think. And please dont just say it wont work or something like that, please give some kind of technical reason. Thanks

There is software already out that does this such as CPUFSB and SOFTFSB. I have used them and they work fine. Perhaps you could study that software and observe how they do it?

I have used softFSB before too and thought it didn't actually change the Front Side Bus until you restarted the system. I would also like to focus more on the hardware perspective to and not the software perspective. But thanks for the tip and reminding me aout those programs. It will be somthing to disassemble and look at.

Back