• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Abit NF7-S...no surrond sound, no CD-Roms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brewzer

Registered
New Abit NF7-S...no surrond sound w/z-640 speakers

OK, I just got a Abit NF7-S Rev2.0. I replaced an Epox 8RDA board without reformatting (I know, I know). I have a set of Logitech z-640's and I can not get surrond sound to work with Soundstorm. It uses the front speakers for both the front and rear speakers. I have tried numerous settings in the Soundstorm panel, but no luck yet, can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
I am not looking for a "reformat" repsonse. You obviously don't have a solution, but that's for the try.

Anyone know what the real problem is, please respond. I know it is not a reformat issue bcuz other people in other forums have had the same problem. They also had z-640's, but I never found an answer. Anyone???

Problem solved! I didn't have the cables plugged in the right inputs. I had to put the black cable in the blue input, and the orange cable in the black input, while leaving the green cable in the green input. My only question is, WTF are they doing mixing all the colors up. Last time I checked black went to black, and orange to orange and so on, that is way too confusing for the average person.

I still can't get my surround to work. I still have the same problem using the setup you used. I know I have to leave the orange in the black to get the center channel to work, but putting the black in the blue doesn't make a difference. I wish Logitech had a solution for this. Oh, and KDog, my speakers came with a manual that had about three sentences, all about where to place your speakers. The only information about plugging them in was "Plug the colored cables into the appropriate inputs on your motherboard."

then you look at the cables and figure out what they are for, there is a little pictogram, or lable or something on them usually, and there is the same type pictogram on the backplate of the mobo. I never rely on colour coding, manuals, and labels always works out best.

ssgohan434 said:
here is how it goes, the black in the orange and the orange in the black and the green in the green. So where the **** does blue come in?!?? IT doesnt

Dude, why don't you take your "expertise" somehere else because you obviously don't have a clue! In fact,most of the people replying to this thread haven't been much help. "Reformat" and "use a pictogram", come on we are not idiots. The plugs from the speakers have nothing on them besides a certain color boot that is suppose to plug into the corresponding color on your sound card, or in this case motherboard. Everyone also knows that manuals pretty much are useless when it comes to computer stuff. These suggestions are for noobs, and let me tell you I am not a noob,not even close, which is probably the reason I figured out the problem. I know it wasn't because of any of the lame @$$ responses I got in this thread.

Now b4 everyone goes and gets their panties in a bunch,let me say this. Thanks for trying to help, but if you haven't a clue, then keep your lame suggestions to yourself. If you have a legitimate answer or suggestion then go ahead and give it and hopefully it will work. But it is obvious that isn't the case in some of the replies. And to kdog 184, who said reformat and then tried to be funny and said I thought you read the manual, do everyone a favor and don't talk about something you obviously no nothing about!

TheMatrixHasYou, make sure you don't have any checkmarks in the features part. NO center channel, no surrond encoding,nothing. Leave them all blank. If you still have problems pm or email me and I will try to help, cuz it looks like I am your only hope around here :)

uh no, dont leave them all blank lol. if you cant get it to work on the default settings, then something on your end is wrong, not the settings.

also update the 2.03 drivers before you tweak your stuff.

AdvanS13 said:
uh no, dont leave them all blank lol. if you cant get it to work on the default settings, then something on your end is wrong, not the settings.

also update the 2.03 drivers before you tweak your stuff.

Yes, them all blank, period. I tried EVERY other way and nothing worked right. Maybe becuz of the way I hooked them up in the back, but the only way to get surrond for me is to leave them all unchecked. Like my daddy always said...if it ain't broke, don't fix it! The MatrixHasYou uses the same setup, equipment wise, that I do so it should work for him as well. Of course I am just lonely ol' me and what do I know ;)

brewzer said:

Dude, why don't you take your "expertise" somehere else because you obviously don't have a clue! In fact,most of the people replying to this thread haven't been much help. "Reformat" and "use a pictogram", come on we are not idiots. The plugs from the speakers have nothing on them besides a certain color boot that is suppose to plug into the corresponding color on your sound card, or in this case motherboard. Everyone also knows that manuals pretty much are useless when it comes to computer stuff. These suggestions are for noobs, and let me tell you I am not a noob,not even close, which is probably the reason I figured out the problem. I know it wasn't because of any of the lame @$$ responses I got in this thread.

Now b4 everyone goes and gets their panties in a bunch,let me say this. Thanks for trying to help, but if you haven't a clue, then keep your lame suggestions to yourself. If you have a legitimate answer or suggestion then go ahead and give it and hopefully it will work. But it is obvious that isn't the case in some of the replies. And to kdog 184, who said reformat and then tried to be funny and said I thought you read the manual, do everyone a favor and don't talk about something you obviously no nothing about!

TheMatrixHasYou, make sure you don't have any checkmarks in the features part. NO center channel, no surrond encoding,nothing. Leave them all blank. If you still have problems pm or email me and I will try to help, cuz it looks like I am your only hope around here :)

Hey Mr. Panties in a bunch lemme tell u this, i have had these speakers and same problems b4 u, and i was only trying to help u in the same problem. I also had to figure this out the hard way and was only trying to help u so u and other dont have the same headache i did. and yes i have the same ABIT NF7s REV 1.2 mobo. (and next time please dont ur panties in a bunch)

ssgohan434 said:
here is how it goes, the black in the orange and the orange in the black and the green in the green. So where the **** does blue come in?!?? IT doesnt

#1) How is the above comment help? Where does the help come? If that is considered help, I don't need any.

Hey Mr. Panties in a bunch lemme tell u this, i have had these speakers and same problems b4 u, and i was only trying to help u in the same problem. I also had to figure this out the hard way and was only trying to help u so u and other dont have the same headache i did. and yes i have the same ABIT NF7s REV 1.2 mobo. (and next time please dont ur panties in a bunch)

#2) I am glad you have an Abit nf7-sRev1.2. HOWEVER, I clearly stated I have a rev2.0.

#3) If you were sincerely trying to help, then thanks. That just doesn't seem like much help to me.

#4) I don't wear panties ;)

heh, i think abit and the rest of the audio world decided to play "yes mean no and no means yes" or something, because in this case black means orange and orange means black. At least that was the solution for me and my Cambridge Megaworks.

Back