• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious XP problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Annoyingrob

The last few days, my computer seems to be randomly locking up. If that's not bad enough, almost every time, it seems to corrupt the operating system. Ive reinstalled windows 3 times today already. It's really getting annoying. Worst part of it is, I don't have a clue what's causing the lockups. I suspect it MAY be the ram, but I ran Memtester, and it came up fine. How can I even start to figure this out?

have you run the system through 24 hours of prime?
what speed is your processor at?
is your pci bus locked?

no, my machine is usually on about 10 hours a day, idling for a fair bit of thta time. It's an XP 2400+, default settings, No the PCI bus is not locked, but It should be running at 133/5 right now.
A7V266 mobo
256 PC2100 ddr ram
60gig deskstar 120gxp
radeon 9000 pro

I agree with zabomb4163. Run prime95 torture test on it and see if it throws an error. If it does, it could be any number of things, like heat, vcore, etc.

Speaking of heat, are is you HSF clogged with dust?

Well, my computer crashed a few hours into prime, no errors up to that point though. I'm starting to think that it may be the sound card causing the problems. Whenever the computer is about to crash, I notice the speakers start making a crackling noise, then the mouse gets a little jerky then about 15 seconds later, locks up.

Ususally these problems happen if you go too far with your front side bus (FSB). I wouldn't ever go above 180 Mhz unless I had a mobo made for it. The reason why: your hard drives can only let data come and go so fast, and when you go too fast, the hard drive can't keep up. So if you are running over the redline, it can easily perform the symptoms you are describing. You should up your multiplier and lower your FSB. But be gradual and don't over do it (the typical oc'ers word of mouth).

BTW ... what's your FSB number at anyways?

133Mhz. It crashed again. I'm using my other computer for the time being, I'm just to ****ed off at the stupid thing for doing this all the time. I'l try a Fat32 file system instead of NTFS, and see if that helps corruption.

yeah run a checkdisk like Labotomy Jack said (the one that reboots your comp)

Back