• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

explorer hangs when deleting files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danomite664

I am using Win98SE and whenever I delete a file through windows explorer (or even delete temp internet files through IE) explorer will stop working for a long time (usually like 2 minutes, sometimes longer if there is more to delete). I cant click on the start menu or even get windows explorer to do anything until it is done deleting, which is quite some time. I really have no other problems with my computer and I know it isnt a virus or any spyware of any sort. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

it's very unlikely that this is from spyware or a virus.

although i am a fan of windows98 it's just old and inefficient. if you're set on staying with it, i'd try deleting all the junk while in safe mode as not to wear down the OS with excess resources.

i was going to say to maybe add more ram or defrag your hdd, but if your system is the one in your description, then you're problem might actually having too much memory. i know this sounds a$$ backwards, but windows 98 has a problem with having too much ram.

hope this helps. good luck.

thanks for the help. its not that im intent on sticking with windows 98, its just that i have used my money to buy other stuff instead of a new operating system (going to see about getting one through school for dirt cheap though). as far as the ram goes though, i have experienced those problems already. when i installed the ram i had problems and had to go in and adjust the virtual memory and got that cleared up. also, i had this problem before i installed the new ram, back when i only had 256, so i doubt thats the problem either. i guess i can just deal with the problem until i can get a new OS, its just kind of annoying, thats all. thanks anyway though.

Back