• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I SIT a good time to buy a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamer004

i was wondering, since amd based motherboards can only reach 400MHz, which means, is it better to buy a AMD 2600+ with a 266Fsb or a 2600+ with a 333FSB???

and when will AMD motherboards with a higher FSB comeout and how much will they cost???

For a nonoverclocker you definatly want the extra bus speed. For an overclocker though there is no need for a chip with the higher bus speed since that can be overclocked.

400 is about as high as it'll go for the Athalon XP.. so if you're gonna buy a computer this is def a good time.. there is no sense in waiting since the next upgrade will likely be athalon 64 and that wont be a feasible upgrade for at least a year or year and half

if you're wondering why the AMD FSB is not as high as the INTEL one i can give you the answer to that..

AMD and Intel are Both running at 200 FSB. The thing that makes the two difference is that AMD FSB is DOUBLE PUMPED.. while the INTEL FSB is QUAD PUMPED.. Hence the difference in the FSB.

SO AMD FSB = 200*2 = 400 FSB
INTEL FSB = 200*4 = 800 FSB

thanks for all the feedback uys, i think i'll get my AMD parts together, and build it soon!!!

does the difference in fsb make for any performance difference, i know theres gotta be other factors here that are affected by the greater fsb.

WUT KIND OF fsb, RAM, PROCESSOR, MOTHERBOARD??
I would have to say....

motherboard..........abit nf7-s
processor...............barton 2500+
ram.........................twinmos 3500+(2x512)
:D

with this system..your looken at 2.3-2.4ghz.....at around 420-450fsb...............which (with a decent grapchics of course) will desimate all games out now...no questions asked.....the system in my sig laughs at any game out right now.....and it's not as good as the aformentioned system :D

sure....as long as their winbond chips.....ie Buffolo ram......if you go to newegg and look at their buffolo ram....it has those famous winbond chips on em......Buffolo is cheap and one of the best overclocking rams out there.....:D

is that ok if i get a PC3200 instead of a PC3500??

In additon to treepop's advice, and if you haven't dropped the cash yet, look for PC3200 memory that is by default at low latencies, like 2.2.2. That will most likely do PC3500 speeds at 2.5.3.3. Catch my drift?

Back