• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New XP User - Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

I just did a fresh install of Windows XP Home Edition last night and wow, it is simply amazing compared to Win 98 SE.

- I do have several questions though, with Win 98E, I only had "Explorer.exe" and "Systray" running in the background at any given time, besides whatever program I was currently running. I noticed Windows XP is different. I have 0 tasks running but I have 18 processes running, but it says that my CPU usage is 0. Are these 18 processes completely different in XP then they were in Win 98? All I have installed is XP and Star Wars Galaxies. Should I be concerned with all of these processes? I like to have the most resources available at any given time, that's why with Win 98, I only left those two items running. If I do not need all of the processes, where can i go to prevent them from starting up?

- With Win 98, I was able to go to Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information/Tools/Start Up and uncheck all of the items I didn't want to start up when I restarted my PC. With Win XP, I can't find this option. Can anyone direct me to it?

- When I am not on my computer, I put it in "Stand-By" mode. Last night, being a first time XP user, I noticed a "Stand-By" mode and a "Hibernation" mode. What's the difference? I also started to unplug my ethernet cable while in stand-by mode cause of the new virus. What a pain in the neck.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Windows XP is a whole different world than 98.

Those crashes that you became accustom too will be like a long lost friend!

When you start Standby mode, Windows saves all Open info in Ram. Hibernate mode saves them to the hard drive. Hibernate sucks less power from your battery,

Hibernation mode takes a little longer to resume work than stand by mode. About 30 seconds compared to 10

Also if you run the latest patches and run the worm removal tool you do not need to unplug your internet connection

get the both here

To see what is starting up in Win XP and disable what you do not want go to Start Menu - Run and type in msconfig and when it starts click on the startup tab

The processing running in XP will be completely different because it is running on a different file system. NTFS as opposed to Fat32. If you disable some of the startup programs in msconfig it should lower the processing running in the background

Awesome! Thanks Sins.

I went to the Windows Update site last night and downloaded all of the critical updates and security patches. There were a few items I didn't download because I don't think I would use those features (fax, euro config, etc.). Should I download those anyway??

Also, the site you referred me to, is that patch strictly to prevent the worm and should I download that patch even though I don't have the worm? If so, which patch should I download - Windows XP 32 bit edition or Windows XP 64 bit edition?

Which is better to do then? Stand-By or Hibernate? Stand-by is not hurting the system at all is it?

In regards to the processes, which ones can I safely disable in the startup menu? I know with Win 98, you didn't want to disable ones that said Kerrnell, Rundll, etc. I don't want to turn off a critical program that needs to run in XP or the NTFS system.

1) You have the 32-bit Windows XP edition

2) to disable startup applications go Run and type msconfig. Got to the "startup" menu and uncheck the apps you don't want running.

3) The running processes of XP are very much different from 98, in that there are a whole lot more. The OS functions as a modular set of programs that makes the whole lot harder to crash, so in 13 months I have only had XP die on me once.

These components should be running:

svchost.exe (several instances)
services.exe
csrss.exe
spoolsv.exe
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
smss.exe
System
System Idle Process

If you have the ram I would use Stand By mode because ram will always be faster than a physical drive (faster startup time).

Also I would download the patch, just because you do not have the worm doesn’t mean you can’t get it. Also just to be sure download the Worm removal tool and run it. It will scan your system for the worm.

When you are in msconfig make sure you are in the startup tab.

You can remove them all safely but make sure your Antivirus and firewall software is enabled.

If you are unsure what you can do is disable everything. Re-boot and manually restart your antivirus and firewall. This should enable all the needed startup options.

About the update I would just download them all to make sure you have the most up to date patches because you never know when you might need them.

Some people may say it adds bloat but I doubt they take up much space

Sorry for answering all the questions backassward. :p

Thanks again guys.

Where is the worm removal tool located on that site? I couldn't find it.

I currently have a Linksys 4 port router. Doesn't that have a built in firewall? I didn't load the Linksys software because I think it is just to configure the existing firewall, which I don't know how to do anyway. Someone told me this router was plug and play and already contained a firewall. I hope they were right, but it sounds like it wouldn't stop this virus anyway.

Val155 said:
Thanks again guys.

Where is the worm removal tool located on that site? I couldn't find it.

I currently have a Linksys 4 port router. Doesn't that have a built in firewall? I didn't load the Linksys software because I think it is just to configure the existing firewall, which I don't know how to do anyway. Someone told me this router was plug and play and already contained a firewall. I hope they were right, but it sounds like it wouldn't stop this virus anyway.

The router is probably the reason why you didnt get the worm.

The removal tool can be downloaded here http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

Val155 said:

Which is better to do then? Stand-By or Hibernate? Stand-by is not hurting the system at all is it?

Neither, set that computer up to Fold when you are away from it.

Back