• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will RAM with better timings solve my problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Secret-Ian

Registered
Hey guys. I am rather dissapointed with the performance of my system the way it is now. Basically, I was getting fairly decent (although a little low) 3dmark scores but limp ut2k3 scores (by about 20 fps on some occasions). Since my 3dmark game4 scores were decent, I came to the conclusion that the problem wasnt in my video card. Then I decided to try and O'C the cpu by like 10fsb and adding 1 to the multiplier to see whether the score would change a lot, but it only changed by <5 fps, so it couldnt have been my cpu. So then I checked my RAM out.

Well after meddling around in my BIOS, I found a few settings which caught my attention. These settings were the RAM timings. It was actually suggested to me before, but the person who suggested it to me said I would need qualityRAM. It wasnt until I saw how high my timings were did I see the downside to having ValueRAM. It turns out my SPD was actually telling the mobo to use timings which were worse than the default timings (3,4,4,10 vs Def: 2.5,3,3,7). Here are the actual settings from the BIOS (I'm not sure if I got the order right):
SDRAM CAS latency [3.0t (DDR)]
SDRAM RAS to CAS delay [4t]
SDRAM RAS precharge delay [4t]
SDRAM active precharge delay[10t]

So what I want to know is this: Could the ****ty RAM be what is bottlenecking my system?(for my benchmarks and system specs check the bottom of this post) If so is it possible to decrease the timings on the RAM I have now, or will I have to upgrade to quality RAM? What would the drawbacks be of just turning down the timings on the RAM I have now; would it be possible to turn them down just for like 1 benchmark to see what kind of difference it would make, or would that be too dangerous?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated, I think this may be the solution to my PC's performance problems, and hopefully the remedy to a terrible headache I have had for the last few days.

Here are my system specs and benchmarks:

System Specs:
ASUS A7V8X-X Mobo
AMD AThlon XP 2500+ (Barton)
512 Mb DDR400 ValueRAM
RADEON 9800 pro

PCmark2002:
CPU-5500
MEM-4704
HDD-716

3dMark2003:
3DMark Score 5399 3DMarks
GT1 - Wings of Fury 148.0 fps
GT2 - Battle of Proxycon 38.3 fps
GT3 - Troll's Lair 33.4 fps
GT4 - Mother Nature 34.4 fps
CPU Score 447 CPUMarks
CPU Test 1 50.2 fps
CPU Test 2 7.9 fps
(All tests done with driver sliders all set to "high performance")

3DMark2001:
3DMark Score 14445
Game1 Low Detail - 189.3 fps
Game1 High Detail - 60.2 fps
Game2 Low Detail - 285.5 fps
Game2 High Detail - 145.3 fps
Game3 Low Detail - 157.2 fps
Game3 High Detail - 68.6 fps
Game4 - 132.2
(All tests done with driver sliders all set to "high performance")

Unreal Tournament 2k3:
-1024x768-
4xAA and 8xAF = 83.7 fps flyby, 49.0 fps botmatch
noAA and NoAF = 167.0 fps flyby,54.5 fps botmatch
-1280x960-
4xAA and 8xAF = 95.2 fps flyby,48.3 fps botmatch
noAA and noAF = 156.2 fps flyby,54.2 fps botmatch
-1600x1200-
4xAA and 8xAF = 50.2 fps flyby,24.8 fps botmatch
noAA and noAF = 120.7 fps flyby,53.6 fps botmatch
(All tests done with driver sliders all set to "high quality")

your scores look pretty good to me, especially your 3dmark03... is your chip oc'ed? also, is your ram at stock or oc'ed? have you tried tweaking your timings?

Woah! You have some nice equipment (other than RAM).
With that nice stuff I would say the memory could very well be holding you back. With all that money you invested in everything else, pick up some nice mem =). Your 03 scores look good, but your 01 look a bit low for a 9800.

I dont know if the A7V8X-X takes dual channel, but if it does, I hear good things abour the OCZ Gold 3700 (If you're going to OC, otherwise stick with some nice 2700 or 3200), which would give your system a nice kick in the butt. (Dual Channel requires two chips of the same size, so 2x256MB, not 1x512MB)

First of all I would try lowering the timings and see if Prime95, and both 3dMarks run stable, if not, you should get new mem, if so, keep lowering timings until you find stable timings, and if you're still not happy with lower timings on your memory, pick some new stuff up.

You probably won't get much lower than what your SPD is set to though, as the manufacturers call it ValueRAM probably for a reason ;)

hrmm

Nah the VIA chipset doesnt support dual channel :(

I might be able to upgrade to an nforce 2 mobo within the next month, so I am prolly gonna hold out on buying mem until I wither A. get an nfore2 mobo or B. am sure that I never will have an nforce 2 lol.

Try RAM timings of CAS 2.0 3-3-7
If that don't work, but the CAS to 2.5

I know on the nForce that first one is a sweet spot on most of
them. Not sure about the VIA stuff.

Secondly, your 3dMark scores are really good, but maybe a
particular video setting in Unreal is whats choaking your
setup. I can't imagine you getting decent 3dMark scores and
NOT having decent performance in your game. Which leads me
to think it's probably a simple setting.

On top of that, your memory settings. AMD chips the memory is
the bottleneck. So higher FSB and faster memory timings are
the key to unlocking as much performance out of your rig. Raised
multipler didn't give you as much of a boost as FSB would because
you still have to live with the memory bottleneck.

If you have the option, try running your Barton at 200X10

If all else fails, I have an ABIT NF7-S 2.0 I'm selling almost
new for $100. I used it for 3 weeks while I had my main rig
being RMA'd.

It's fast for sure.

hrmm

Yeah its not looking too good... My mobo doesnt give me much choice as to RAM timings, the CAS is normal, but the other two I can only choose between either 2 or 4 (no 3), and the fourth number, I can only choose between 8 and 10... So I tried 2-2-2-8 and guess what? No difference! So basically I am ****ed cuz I have no idea what is wrong w/ my system!

I tried running it in 200x10 but windows wouldnt load...

I might be interested in buying ur mobo. I'd prefer to talk about it over email though, email me at [email protected] ok?

Last edited:
Back