• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does DSP mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huckleberry

I'm going to purchase of a new copy of XP Pro, and I found one that is described as:

"Windows XP Professional - Full Version (DSP)"

I know what OEM is, but what is DSP, and is it an advisable purchase?

After searching and searching the only thing I could find is one site saying that MS does not support DSP software and that the certificate of authenticity of on the cellophane wrapping.

Anyone know more?

Sorry about that here is the warning I found on many sites selling DSP

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU RECEIVE THIS PRODUCT AND DO NOT THROW AWAY ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY THE CELLOPHANE WRAPPING, AS THE CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY IS ATTCHED TO IT AND IS VERY SMALL, UNTIL YOU HAVE TOTALLY FINISHED INSTALLATION. WE CANNOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU THROW COMPONENTS IN THE TRASH.

It might be the version with the sticker license.

I got this info from the help from a dealers site:

What is DSP?
DSP is an abbreviation for Distribution Service Partner. DSP software is OEM versions of the software and originate from one of theAuthorzied Distribution Companies that currently have contracts with Microsoft to replicate and/or distribute their products. This is further assurance that the software you are purchasing is legally licensed and 100% legitimate.

Link:http://www.directdeals.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=OEM-WINXPPD

Al

Well after hunting around for over an hour, I finally found the following:

DSP means “Delivery Service Partner”. OEM means “Original Equipment Manufacturer” and normally would have the hardware manufacturer’s name stamped on it. DSP software is similar to OEM software however there is NO manufacturer’s name stamped on the manual or printed on the license. DSP software is more generic and OEM software is sold directly to the computer manufacturer. Thus the distribution channel is different for DSP. DSP software is distributed for smaller system integrators and system builder hobbyists for “clone” or no-name computers. Like OEM versions, DSP versions often come with only an electronic help manual, which is built-in to the software or a small getting-started manual. The software itself contains the same programs as the Retail Box version, except the Retail Box version normally comes with a small printed manual. Both OEM and DSP Microsoft software include a COA, which is a Certificate Of Authenticity label or sticker from the manufacturer. ebargainsoftware.com

Looks like it is fully functional software, but not labeled as much as the OEM variety. Like "generic store-brand cola" that is really made by Pepsi (or Coke, if that is your particular religion...)

Back