• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT3 Ultra and no 333 busses? MSI techsupport wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bunyip

I saw another thread where a poster used a Barton on his KT3 Ultra. However, I got this email from MSI tech support:

Dear Customer,

That is correct this motherboard will not support the Barton core cpus, it also does not support the 333 cpus, if you do decide to get a 2600+ cpu, it needs to be a 266 cpu. Here is a link for the cpu support for this motherboard. http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/cpu_support/cpu/spt_cpu_detail.php?UID=11

I was hoping to run a 2600 Tbred with a 333 bus on my motherboard - is it possible that MSI is just wrong?

If the board supports TBreds, which it does, then it will work.

There might not be official support (this all seems strange to me now) but from past experience, I know a

wait wait, KT3 ULTRA, not Ultra 2.... Hrm.

What processor do you have in there now? Can you unlock it?

Find out if your board has a 1/5th divider, you'll need that to run at 166mhz FSB correctly.

i have the kt3 ultra and run a barton 2500 with no problems at all
:)

the 1/5 divider is definately there and it kicks in at 152..this board runs the 333fsb cpu with no problems...i just had to manually set the fsb to 166. that is why the boards officially don't support the 333 cpu.

I agree with InThrees, lower your multiplier and give it a go with the CPU you have now, If you don't have a prob, run out and buy a Barton.

they work just fine the 1/5 divider kicks in at 152 i had a xp1800 at 9x166 now i am runnin a barton 2500 with no probs at all!!

in your bios before you switch chips under "advaced chipset features" in the dram timing control set fast command to normal and you should be all set for the barton!!

Back