• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

I was wondering if I could install my copy of Windows XP Home Edition on my wife's PC, even though I have it on mine. Or do you have to buy a new version for each PC in the house?

If so, how does the whole "Activation" system work then?

you wont be able to activate it on your wife's PC

You may not need to buy a whole new version. I think if you call Microsoft, they will give you a new CD key at a discount.

What happens if I build a new computer and want to use XP on the new hard drive? I got to buy a new version???

What if my hard drive crashes and I have to buy a new one???

If you buy a new hd or reformat, then you will have to reactivate windows (by phone or internet). Only one computer can be activated at any one time per one key.

Val155 said:
What happens if I build a new computer and want to use XP on the new hard drive? I got to buy a new version???

What if my hard drive crashes and I have to buy a new one???

No, its 1 copy of win xp on 1 pc at a time.
If your HD dies, just get a new one and reinstall windows on it.
But if you try and install it on a new PC, you will have to phone them up. As it will know its on a new PC when you go on the internet to activate it.

hypothetically, one could just call M$ and get the activation number saying you're a system builder who is constantly changing configurations... hypothetically, of course...

one time they asked why i was reactivating and i told them that is moved my pci cards around and the reactivation wizard popped up and the guy was grilling me on what i did that lol

just don't try to be a funny guy when they ask if you are installing it on multiple computers and say "yes". i think that is an easy way to be put on the banned cd key list :)

Back