• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Preliminary Geil pc4200 experience.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Well my 1 gig of pc4200 came in today and I am having trouble getting it upto speed.

The timings are 2.5 7, 4, 4
With Game accelerator on Auto

i tried 1:1 ratio @ 196 @ 2.8v and it was no go....maybe because I didn't start out with small fsb increments...I just went for it.

It will boot & bench at 180fsb @ 4:5 = 450mhz but the Sandras are real sucky 41k over 41k

I can boot but no benchies @ 185fsb @ 4:5 = 464mhz

All of the above speeds are done with the max voltage of my IC7 bios which is 2.8v

The Geil site says the pc4200 sticks are 2.6v-2.9v...maybe they need all of the 2.9v to get the rated spd?

I am going to try to up the fsb a little at a time on tthe 1:1 to see if I can get it up to my regular oc of 196fsb.

What do you guys think?

kestrel said:
Um... you mean 296, right? If it can't even hit 200 it would be much worse than PC 2700.

Nope I mean 196...my cpu is a 533mhz P4

I am having some real bad problems with this ram. It won't oc even 15mhz on a 1:1 past default . I can get past the post screen but it won't boot into windows no matter what I do. Right now I am running @ default speed of 2.53.

Sucks bad...looks like its RMA time. I would like to swap it out at newegg for some OCZ gold pc4000 but they don't have any.

It kinda feels like a voltage problem to me...I bet if a slapped it with 3.0v it would run @ spd.

But that won't happen until I get my Max 3:rolleyes:

Because I run this cpu @ 3.73 stable sometimes @ 3.8gig

I think I have found my problem. I just flashed my bios from 1.5 to 1.6 and I am creeping back up to 3.7gig on a 1:1 ratio right now I am at 160fsb

But...the 4:5 ratio doesn't seem to work to well. I got it to boot at 180fsb 4:5 = 450 memory fsb. But at 190fsb the 4:5 ratio gave me the black-screen-of-failure.

I have to go back to work right now so I will play with it some more tonight.

speeeed

I just got my PC4200 GeIL's in today.

Could post at 1:1 up to 286mhz
Still trying to figure out my speed at which I can boot into windows however.

As a side note, my 5:4 divider is fscked up as well. I CANNOT use it with my P4P800-deluxe. 3:2, however, is fine. I still can't boot over 286mhz FSB, however. Looks like my processor is still holding me back on this one :( .

voltages:
1.785 vcore
2.85 vdimm
1.6 AGP

Re: speeeed

OperativeSix said:
I just got my PC4200 GeIL's in today.

Could post at 1:1 up to 286mhz
Still trying to figure out my speed at which I can boot into windows however.

As a side note, my 5:4 divider is fscked up as well. I CANNOT use it with my P4P800-deluxe. 3:2, however, is fine. I still can't boot over 286mhz FSB, however. Looks like my processor is still holding me back on this one :( .

voltages:
1.785 vcore
2.85 vdimm
1.6 AGP

Are you saying that it make it to the post screen at 286fsb but not Windows??

what 1:1 fsb are you able to get into Windows at?

I just pulled the Geil out of my rig and I'm going to RMA it tomorrow for a refund. The highest fsb I could get it was 450fsb. I am gonna try some OCZ Gold 4000 maybe.

My experience with GEIL on AMD systems has been to give it max voltage. This stuff will take it and keep on trucking, loves volt mods.

Again, Ive used on AMD systems, I know Intel is a whole new bag, and PC4200 is even another new frontier. Though I hope it works out for you guys.

It can be quirky, but amazing if you know how to work it.

Re: Re: speeeed

krag said:

Are you saying that it make it to the post screen at 286fsb but not Windows??

what 1:1 fsb are you able to get into Windows at?

Windows would boot at ~273mhz FSB. It would POST just fine at 286, but the moment Windows tries to load, it would simply reboot.

5:4 is GLITCHY, however. Once I finally got it to work, I was "happily" greeted by a completely ****ed up POST screen. Text was oddly formatted, with random chunks missing from letters, and with half of a word often inches away from the rest of it. 3:2 works though (at least SOMETHING does), although I am NOT happy at having to run this memory at below even PC3200 speeds.

Related to this, of course...what is better? 272 FSB @ 1:1, or 284 FSB @ 3:2?

On second thought....i am just gonna RMA it for replacement and put it in the Abit Max 3 and just slammit with the V's. max 3 on 8/21!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: speeeed

OperativeSix said:

Windows would boot at ~273mhz FSB. It would POST just fine at 286, but the moment Windows tries to load, it would simply reboot.

5:4 is GLITCHY, however. Once I finally got it to work, I was "happily" greeted by a completely ****ed up POST screen. Text was oddly formatted, with random chunks missing from letters, and with half of a word often inches away from the rest of it. 3:2 works though (at least SOMETHING does), although I am NOT happy at having to run this memory at below even PC3200 speeds.

Related to this, of course...what is better? 272 FSB @ 1:1, or 284 FSB @ 3:2?

Yeah looks like you are having some of the same probs as me allthough it seems that yuo are getting higher fsb's.

So the question then becomes...is this an issue with the memory, or the motherboard? I know my old Corsair XMS PC3200 couldn't even run at 250mhz 5:4 on my P4P800 (no matter what BIOS version I was running...even using the canterwood hack, it wouldn't work).

Who knows...I like this stuff though. Seeing as I'm topping out at 3.43ghz (a very respectable overclock if I do say so), I'm considering ordering more. Hell, the price is right at any rate.

OperativeSix said:
So the question then becomes...is this an issue with the memory, or the motherboard? I know my old Corsair XMS PC3200 couldn't even run at 250mhz 5:4 on my P4P800 (no matter what BIOS version I was running...even using the canterwood hack, it wouldn't work).

Who knows...I like this stuff though. Seeing as I'm topping out at 3.43ghz (a very respectable overclock if I do say so), I'm considering ordering more. Hell, the price is right at any rate.

I was thinking the same thing. i think it just might be. I also think that max 2.8v-dimm on my IC7 is pretty weak. But just th esame I'm gonna send it back for replacement cause the product blurb claims 2.6-2.9v.

Hey I am having some problems with my pc4000 as well from Geil. I can get into ddr500 but not at spec at 3,7,4,4. It also wont post over 300fsb in single or dual channel. I know the board is good for it because my single stick of corsair will do 309fsb. I just rma'd mine and will be sending it out tomorrow.

nimrod0031 said:
Hey I am having some problems with my pc4000 as well from Geil. I can get into ddr500 but not at spec at 3,7,4,4. It also wont post over 300fsb in single or dual channel. I know the board is good for it because my single stick of corsair will do 309fsb. I just rma'd mine and will be sending it out tomorrow.
Dang it.....it all sucks!!! Hmmmm, maybe I should just get my money back?

Back