• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Cpu Temp on load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theoneforever

Registered
I have a p4 2.4c overclocked to 2.5. It's idle temp is around 36, but on full load it will get to 60+. I have 4 front intake fans and 1 side intake, 3 3xhaust fans on the back and 1 on the top. The heatsink/fan are stock, but still with all those fans in the case shouldnt the load temp stay much lower? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

That is way too high of a delta between idle and load, even with the stock heatsink. Besides, the new Intel stock heatsinks aren't that bad.

I would suggest you reseat the stock heatsink to make sure it's lying flat on the IHS. You didn't happen to forget to flip the locking levers over, by any chance, did you?

Did you keep the thermal pad on the stock HSF, did you scrape it off and use thermal paste, or are you not using anything?

I ran my 2.4c for a few days at 1.65V Vcore with the stock heatsink and no TIM. Asus probe on a P4P800 reported Prime95 load temps of ~55C and idle temps of ~38C.

The locking levers are flipped down. I kept thermal pad that came with it on. The heatsink can only fit on there in one position right? I guess i'll reseat it to make sure its flat, but if it wasnt flat shouldnt the locking levers not lock down?

It's probably almost impossible to attach a stock Intel heatsink any way other than flat, so I'm confused. Unless the mounting bracket itself is crooked, in which case you need to return your motherboard. I serioulsy doubt this is the case.

Motherboard temp reporting is so innacurate that it is almost worthless. You probably have an Abit motherboard - they report temps pretty high. If you're running stock Vcore, you really can't hurt anything; your system will be unstable long before heat damages things. Add to that the fact the P4s underclock themselves when they get too hot, and you should be safe.

Short story - as long as you're stable, you're fine.

I checked and the heatsink is attached flat. My mobo is a gigabyte. My vcore is still stock. But I dont think its the mobo over-reporting. I've been using the cpu/mobo for about 2 weeks and it only started showing high temps in the last day or two. I have it set to beep when it goes past 60 degrees so i'm pretty sure it wasnt doing this earlier. As soon as I do anything that requires 100% cpu the temp jumps rapidly by 10 degrees and within a few min it gets to over 60. If I stop the activity it instantly drops by 10 degress and within a min or so its back to idle temps

If that is the problem its not a good sign. I've only been running the computer for 2 weeks now. I hope I dont have to open it up and clean it every 2 weeks.

theres a point where your case air can't get any fresher i guess. your case fans are probably doing excellent. your cooler isn't doing its job using that air. great case air circulation seems to only be half of the equation :) else cpu temps wouldn't change with rpm changes on cpu cooler:)

Just curious, Have you checked to see if the fan on heatsink is actually working? If it is is it running at the right speed? I would check that next if you're still getting high temps.

The fan on the heatsink is working. I don't know what speed its supposed to be operating at but it's been operating at the same speed since I got it.

In the bios the voltage is set to 1.525V which is the normal voltage, but when i read the voltage with the motherboard monitor in windows it's at 1.590V. Maybe this is the problem. Why would it be so much higher then what I set it at? How would I get the voltage to stay at what I put it in the bios?

Mine is doing the same.... Idle temp at 43c load is at 59-60c and thats with an SLK-800!!! im thinking maybe is the AMD adapter i got, maybe its not seated properly.. also cos this HS is originally for an AMD it doesnt cover the whole IHS... a mm on 2 ends are not touching the HS.... hmmm

Is your voltage screwed up as well? Like does it report something in the bios and something much higher when checking it from windows? Cause I think that is my problem, I just dont know how to solve it.

Have you tried running your system at full load with the case cover off, to see if that improves your temps. Maybe somehow your HSF are not getting enough fresh air. Also does your Mobo have the diod thing in the socket, if so maybe some how it has gotten moved and now it is making better contact with the bottom of the cpu then it was before. Im not sure where you live, but her in Texas, its been extremely Hot these past few days, and the little room that my computer is in doesnt get the best air conditioning, ive seen my idle temps of 40C jump up to 46c because of this heat, what is your system temps in relation to your cpu temps, does it increase dramatically when you cpu increases??

It's overvolted all the time. Isn't an overvolt from 1.525 to 1.590 way too much? And it just stays there almost all the time, rarely it will go up to 1.610. I'm sure the heatsink is getting plenty of air since I have a side intake fan that blows directly on it. I don't know where the diode is but if it was moved shouldnt the idle temps also be higher (which they currently are the same as before)? It is pretty hot durring the day, but my idle temp is now down to 32, so I dont think thats the problem either.

theoneforever said:
Is your voltage screwed up as well? Like does it report something in the bios and something much higher when checking it from windows? Cause I think that is my problem, I just dont know how to solve it.

Actually mine UNDERVOLTS!!!! Get this, i run my computer with the side case off all the time!!! Over where i live its winter too but its hitting the end of it and spring is coming..

I think my problem maybe worse than yours theoneforever especially cos im using an SLK with the Side panel off in Winter! Somethings definitely not right!

theoneforever said:
It's overvolted all the time. Isn't an overvolt from 1.525 to 1.590 way too much? And it just stays there almost all the time, rarely it will go up to 1.610.
It's not too much in the sense that you will hurt your chip, but it is a very high overvolt. Just note the offset between the BIOS and the reported Vcore and don't go too high.

Back