• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pecesenfuegos

Registered
I know the basics about memory and latency values and synchronous vs. asynchronous, but I am having trouble deciding which memory to get. I need 1gb of memory and I have narrowed my choices down to corsair xms pc3500, corsair xms pc3700, or ocz gold pc3700. In most reviews the ocz beats the corsairs, but the problem is that to achieve 1gb with ocz I would have to buy 4 sticks. I need some input on which would be the best for my system.
I'm trying to get a synchronous system with ddr500 by ocing my memory, but with the pc3500 that will be very difficult/impossible without doing a major voltage change from what I've read. I really want the ocz, but If i get it I will have to get 4 sticks. I was wondering you guys thought about this issue. Should I get the corsair 3700 with higher latency values, the 4 sticks of ocz 3700 with lower latency values, or just go with asynchronous with the corsair 3500. Oh yeah my system is p4 2.4c and abit IS7.

Thanks.

the is7 wont run much faster than 250 fsb 1-1 ratio (synchronously) so u gotta choice. get something like the ocz gold and hope u can get it to run with loose timings 1-1 for hi fsb and memory ocing. or get some good corsair or muchkin pc3500 and run it 5/4 asynch(the is7 will go higher than 250 in asynch) with real tight timings. try to get 2 sticks and not four cause the mem controller doesnt have to work so hard.. does that help any? flapperhead

You need to be carefull which ram you want to run async with. I have Corsair XMS 3200 C2 which run up to 225 1:1 2-6-3-2, but it doesn't do crap in 5:4. The kind of memory chips is important, but I can't say which ones are the compatible ones with the async.

I'd find some nice 3500 to run in async and wait till Abit fixes the 255 1:1 wall, then get some good high frequency mem.

edit: I took off a few days to install my water rig, but now I'm coming after you, Peces!

Get the OCZ PC3700 Gold. Alot of users can get up to DDR500 and more with fairly good timings. (2.5-3-3-6 is what I use) I don't think there is any other brand that can do those timings at that speed without VOLT MODDING their mobo. Customer service is excellent. I got my dual channel chips tested by OCZ on the same mobo I use before they sent it out to me. So I got guaranteed speeds. Can't go wrong with that now can u?

Back