• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best memory for MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What processor you riding that with, and are you going to
overclock?

That will determine what memory you want.

IE, if your not going to overclock, just get some name brand
PC-3200 like Corsair Ultra Low Latency or OCZ Platinum or
something.

If you do plan on overclocking, I might still say go with those
same two choices, and shoot for 250FSB with your CPU:RAM
ratio at 5:4 which would still give you a major overclock, and
your RAM would run with tight timings at 200Mhz.

For DV and Graphic editing, I'd go for stability rather then MAJOR
overclock. And from what I've seen, most P4 2.4 can hit the
250FSB easy.

Actually I'm gonna use a Pentium 2.8 800fsb. There's going to be no overclocking, just basic and advanced editing. Thanks for your help.

If you're not planning on overclocking, just about any name brand PC3200 DDR RAM should get the job done. A lot of people here have personal favorites so expect about a million different answers. Most of the more popular vendors - Corsair, OCZ, Geil, Kingston, Mushkin, et al. - make pretty high quality stuff. You won't go wrong by picking any of those companies.

Personally, I've been a loyal Mushkin customer for the past 5 years (except for one excellent stick of Corsair XMS I once bought). They have great customer service and will practically bend over backwards for you if you ever have a problem with their product. Also, their tech support guys are quite knowledgable - even with overclocking stuff. For example, the last time I called Mushkin with a problem with my memory, I was greeted by a decidedly cute sounding girl. Thinking she wouldn't know what she was talking about (I'm trying to get rid of the chauvinist instinct in me but it's hard!) I tried to dumb down my language a bit: "Umm yeah... I seem to be getting errors in this test called Memtest86 at the rated speed of the memory." She replied: "Well, is your processor overclocked? If it is make sure it can handle the speed cuz memtest often picks up errors from an overclocked CPU. Also, are you running async or sync? Because some motherboards are having issues with asynchronous operation. Tell me your timings also: a lot of times, people set their tRAS incorrectly - this can cause instability too."

So yeah, she put me in my place :). Anyhow, I have yet to be disappointed by Mushkin, you might want to check them out.

memory latencies

Check out Mushkin.com... It might be a little more money, but the latencies are the best I've seen in higher end memory. My 433mhz runs @ the 2-2-2-6 recommended timings. Can't beat speed like that. Check the signature below.

Last edited:
Mushking memory in my opinion is the most stable and best you can get, whether you OC or not. They take the time to give you quality instead of mass production like other companies who may not have such quality concerns.

I use Mushkin in all my systems and have never had anything other than positive results.

www.mushkin.com

Also, if you buy from Mushkin, use the coupon code SUMMERDDR. That'll net you a 10% discount. You might also want to make the purchase on a weekend since they usually have awesome sales then.

Back