• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda+ and soundstorm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

is the onboard sound on the 8rda+ the soundstorm chip? or is it some other chip/codec?

also, is whatever on it good or not so good or bad?

Yeah, you get 8RDA+ for the good soundstorm sound, no need to purchase sound card for it unless you have specific needs.

In my HO, the sound on it is just fine, save your $ and buy something else other than the sound card.

It's the 8RDA (no plus) that lacks sound features.

Oh yes it does.
The 8RDA+ has the MCP-T southbridge which gives it onboard LAN as well as 6 channel nVidia soundstorm.

they might use the MCP-T southbrdige but the board is not soundstorm certified

they have the hardware its just not implemented

btw i have build computers on the a7n8x nf7-s and the 8rda+ and def the 8rda+ has the worst sound quiality of the 3.. the a7n8x and nf7-s has about an equally decent sound.. 8dra+ is def lower compared to those 2

8RDA+ may lacks soundstorm certification, but

"hardware and sound quality of this board sound are IDENTICAL to those of any officially certified soundstorm board"

When you consider that most pro or + nForce2 versions use MCP-T+AC'97 codec, Avance Logic ALC650 except for Chaintech which uses PCI Audio, C-Media CMI8738/PCI-6ch-MX which is not as good as ALC650, how can this make any sense:
cherryp00t said:
btw i have build computers on the a7n8x nf7-s and the 8rda+ and def the 8rda+ has the worst sound quiality of the 3.. the a7n8x and nf7-s has about an equally decent sound.. 8dra+ is def lower compared to those 2

Sound is the same on Asus and Epox although some special connectors may come standard on one and may have to be purchased for the other but that's why they're priced so differently.

so the 8rda+ has soundstorm or nearly soundstorm level sound output?

The quality of sound is the same except for Chaintech nForce2. That's the important thing.

Some may come with specialized connectors like SPDIF.
Some just have a place on the mobo where you can hook one up.

They all have the same regular connectors which most of us use.

Well I just got my 8RDA+ Rev. 2.1 and it has the typical ****ty "Aud In/Out/Mic" Jacks.....

I got a 5.1 speaker system...so that's an obvious flaw to me, I'll take my trusty SB Live! 5.1 Into yet another mobo thank you very much ;)

You're correct. 8RDA+ does not have specialized connectors. They're add-ons with this board.

The sound is OK if you use standard connectors and most people do.

im gonna be getting the $65 set of logitech 5.1 speakers, will i be able to get good surround sound with the onboard audio on the 8rda+?

yes you will but be prepared n-force boards have a ton of audio problems including crackling and delayed sound output -fat

Active cooling on the northbridge and passive on the southbride will fix it all.Just add a fan to the nb and glue a heatsink on the sb.

Element-Xero said:
Well I just got my 8RDA+ Rev. 2.1 and it has the typical ****ty "Aud In/Out/Mic" Jacks.....

I got a 5.1 speaker system...so that's an obvious flaw to me, I'll take my trusty SB Live! 5.1 Into yet another mobo thank you very much ;)

All you have to do is enable 5.1 surround in the audio control panel in your taskbar, and the "typical **** 'Aud In/Out/Mic' jacks" turn into front/rear/center 5.1 channels. You obviously didn't pay too much attention to the specs when you bought the mobo, as it should have stated that it is 5.1 compatible.

squeakygeek said:

All you have to do is enable 5.1 surround in the audio control panel in your taskbar, and the "typical **** 'Aud In/Out/Mic' jacks" turn into front/rear/center 5.1 channels. You obviously didn't pay too much attention to the specs when you bought the mobo, as it should have stated that it is 5.1 compatible.

i couldnt quite figure out how to change to 5.1 sound either

i want to add Mic to my setup, but my 5.1 speakers are taking up all the jacks. Anyway around this?

Back