• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about moving to dual channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

hey all

currently i'm running my barton at 2.2ghz (11x200), happy as can be and very stable. i have 1 stick of XMS3500 c2, and have been itching to go dual channel for the increased memory bandwidth on my motherboard.

here is my question: i don't want to buy another stick of 3500 because 1) i don't need a gig of memory, and 2) the sticks would be unmatched, and dammit if i'm gonna do this, i'm gonna do it right. i don't see an option for 2x256 of xms3500 on newegg, so my choices are 2x256 of either 3200 or 3700, the latter obviously being the most expensive. would i have any issues getting 200mhz dual channel out of the 3200? i know i shouldn't have any problem getting it out of the 3700, but if i can save some money that'd be great. if it comes down to it though, $20 isn't as important to me as a guaranteed 200mhz is.

also, corsair xms is the only high performance memory that i've used. its tried and true, and i love it. if anyone wants to recommend another brand, thats cool too. but i'd be inclined to spend a little more bling on the corsair than say, kingston for instance unless i could be convinced otherwise, via review or many testimonials :D

so, any information, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

edit: i might also add that i'm currently running my memory with the most aggressive timings possible in the bios at 200mhz, which is something else i'd rather not give up. can 3200 hang?

thanks,

jeff

Last edited:
If your not going over 200Mhz FSB then the PC-3200 is fine.
I mean, it IS designed to run at 200!! If you have your heart
set on Dual Channel, then that's the way to go. You won't see
any performance gains running PC-3700 unless you run it at
those speeds!!!

Now, I hate to burst your bubble, but on the AMD, Dual Channel
is not all it's cracked up to be. Sure you get a little boost out
of it. But honestly, you get more performance simply by getting
your current memory timings as low as possible, and your FSB
as HIGH as possible

If we were talking P4, well then, that would be a whole different
ballgame. On a P4 dual channel is a MAJOR improvement.
But I see you have a nice Barton setup. So FSB and Memory
timings are key.

Oh, I forgot to add. I've had KILLER performance vs Bang for the
Buck with Kingston Hyper-X. Every single stick I have runs
higher FSB then spec, and lower RAM timings then spec, and
for a few $$$ less then Corsair.

But as I said, I don't think you'll get your rocks off with Dual
Channel. It's not worth the extra cost.

Back