• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest ship to hit 2.5ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Cheapest chip to hit 2.5ghz?

I'm thinking about upgrading now, and would like to know what's the cheapest chip I can be pretty sure will hit 2.5ghz or close? And who has 'em guranteed (or almost sure I will get the right stepping).

I have pretty good watercooling. Check sig for temps and stuff.

Lol, I don't mean ship, chip of course...

the 1700+ I had 2.4ghz Stable with air..I am sure ya could get 2.5 with water..and I think I was limited to 2.4 due to my pc2700 RAM.

go hit up a FRYS and get the 1800+! awsome and cheap and fo sho gunna hit 2.4...well not fo sho.....but preaty good chance and hey if not 15 unconditional return ;)

Luck of the draw plays a major part in 2.5 GHz, it's a myth that 2.5 GHz is "guaranteed" with anything.

2.3x is what they do on average. (My 2100+ is 2280)
2.4x is cause for celebration.
2.5x is a small miracle.

indeed - - my 1700+ (on air) is 100% stable at 2.3GHz (1.8vCore), 75% stable at 2.4 (1.825vCore) and doesnt even boot at 2.5GHz - - i know for a fact that it would if i volt mod the mobo.

Actually C... It's mainly voltage, not luck. Even bad chips will do decently with enough voltage.
I've got a JIUHB 1700+ around 2300mhz cause I like my voltage low (1.7v) I push it to 2.0v and I break 2500 without much effort (More effort than it took in winter though.) I'd wager around 2.3v I could hit 2650ish.

If you're willing to put 2.0v through it, I'd say a 2100+ or 2500+ is almost a sure thing for 2500mhz. 1700+ DLT3C's dont like high volts from what I remember hearing, so that'll be more luck-dependant.

Anyone remember what the amperage difference is on DUT3C and DLT3C 1700+'s?

Lithan said:
Actually C... It's mainly voltage, not luck. Even bad chips will do decently with enough voltage.

I've got to stop thinking 1.8x V is what we're talking about by default.

Does anyone have any info what estimated life expectancy is when you approach 2.x V and keep it permanently?

2v on a 1.5v chip is a 33% overvolt, that's more than 2 years off.

The general rule of thumb that I go by is this:

10% is essentially harmless (1.65v)
20% is pushing it (1.8v)
30% is crazy (1.95v)

Once you get to that zone you can, depending on your luck (or should I say anti-luck?), experience overclock deterioration. In other words, it might stay stable for a month, then it starts acting up, then you need more vCore, etc... It's the sign of a sinking ship (pun intended).

Then again if it's a 1700+ you're talking about, that IS only $50. If all goes well it'll last 6-12 months and you'll upgrade before it burns out. Then again, if you're fifteen $50 might be a bit harder to come by :)

--Illah

yeah I can reach 2.1vcore....that doesn't mean I will......I normally like to keep mine at at most at 1.8vcore in bios.....which as we almost all know on the abit mobos undervolts to 1.74 or so.....so I think I am in the realm of a ok :D

With all that's been said, bear in mind that although you're pretty much guaranteed to hit 2.5ghz with any of the better T-Breds these days, you're not going to be able to run it with stability for prolonged periods of time. Mine is easily stable at 2.5ghz+ with 1.95v but I sure wouldn't run it like this for any longer than a few hours. There have been plenty of reports of pretty quick decreasing of overclockability after about a month of overvolting by over 30%.

Back