• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to find out cpu speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terrorsmurf

Registered
How do you find out what the processor speed/name is? like xp 2400, 2700, etc

I just got it booted up and its at 1.25 mhz as of now and I believe its around a 2600+ but am unsure.

I just got it booted up and its at 1.25 mhz as of now and I believe its around a 2600+ but am unsure.

OMFG< NO F)))))) WAY

how old is your processor? is it like one of the first one's made?

i think you have ALOT to learn my friend

2.13 ghz is the original speed of a amd athlon xp 2600+ !

i have gcpuid and it is telling me that its 1.25 ghz (1380+ PR)
which is total bs. Something must be wrong because I just bought it a week ago off newegg for $101.

it would lighten your situation to disclose what cpu you have actually purchased?

then again i might be asking for too much? ;)

thats what i need to find out. i'm 80% sure its the 2600+ but since my roomate likes throwing my things away like important boxes then i am kind of fuX0r3d

If you bought a 2600+ from newegg then that's what you got. I don't think they are in the business of screwing people over. A stock 2600+ runs at 12.5 X 166 = 2083. What I suspect happened is that you have your fsb set to 100 giving you 12.5 X 100 = 1250. That's the speed you are getting from gcpuid. Read your mobo manual and find out how to set it to 166. If you can't find out, then post what mobo you have and we can offer some help.

I have a A7N8X dlx ver 2.0
see I tried setting the fsb up to 166 and it just didn't load. I'll mess around with it some more and get back results tomorrow

okay I set the fsb to 166mhz and its now up to 2.09. And now it actually says its a 2600+ rather than before it just said AMD Athlon.

What is the maximum amout I can overclock w/ o frying the chip or causing problems? And what temp is too high for the cpu?

im not sure how much you can overclock, but i know you can overclock a BARTON 2500+ to about 2.4GHz with air cooled, and with water, who knows what you can do

i also agree with everyone else saying that do not go over 50c or else it gets to hot!!

Terrorsmurf said:
okay I set the fsb to 166mhz and its now up to 2.09. And now it actually says its a 2600+ rather than before it just said AMD Athlon.

What is the maximum amout I can overclock w/ o frying the chip or causing problems? And what temp is too high for the cpu?

Hi TerrorSmurf-
An often overlooked resource on the potential of a particular core (AMD or Intel) is the CPU Database on the front page of Overclockers.com The results of the overclocked processors are sorted by Speed/Volts/Code/Motherboard/Heatsink-Cooling, very informative, however YMMV.
Here's the CPU Database, unfortunatly no temps are shown, but as was mentioned earlier lots of folks around here like to see no more than 50C under load.
Good Luck
elec.tron
If you felt like it you could pull the HSF off and copy the ID info off of the sticker on the processor, PIA, but a sure way to ID your core.

Last edited:
Back