• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blue files in windows folder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

champdog

Well, my brother got hit by the msblast worm (he didn't want to run zone alarm- that'll teach him :D), but I got it fixed for him, but when I went into his Windows folder, I noticed something strange:

There were a bunch of folders that had names like $NtUninstallQ810565$ and their names and the names of the files in them were all written in blue. I have never noticed this in my computer. In each one of these folders is another folder that is named spuninst and assorted .dlls and system files (no two folders have the exact same ones). In all there are 15 folders like the $NtUninstallQ810565$ folder.

Is something wrong with his computer, or should I just calm down.

Also, I would like to know how to make the folders different colors on my computer, if it is possible-- they look really nice! I will try to get a screen up.

Edit: Here is a picture, but the actual colors are a little brighter on my screen (had to make this a 50kb file for theforumisdown.com)

bluefolders.JPG

Last edited:
i wouldn't worry about these folders. they are created when you update your OS (ie: service packs) and are meant as a "backup" if you have to revert to your previous settings.

if you don't want to see them: open explorer, goto "tools", goto "folder options", under the "view" tab, select "do not show hidden files and folders".

hope this helps.

Ok so all the files are alright then?

Now I just want to figure out how/why the names are in blue so I can make some of my folders colored :D

files are ok. as for changing the colors, i don't know... might want to check out M$ Power Tools. just never was inclined to change the font colors... but, i'm sure you can do it in the registry...

Aah there it is thanks for straightening that out for me mbentley.
Not only does it explain why they are in color; it also shows why my computer doesn't have them in blue-- Fat32.

I guess it'll take some work to change all the colors, so I'll let them just stay the way they are (it is summer after all) :D

oooooooooo I love those useful pics ... ad aware enabled that feature on its own and I was wondering how to reverse it ... thanks!

Back