• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 stock AMD heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

I have 2 stock AMD heatsinks lying around here and i dont know what do do with them. I still have stock NB cooler on. Should i stick 1 sink onto the NB and cut up the 2nd sink and put a large part on SB and make the rest into ramsinks for mosets and video card ram? How do i cut up the heatsink and how will i attach them to the bridges and ram and mosfets. Will this plan work?

witch retail sink, the one that is square and has a large amount of very thin fins. To attach them use Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive,made by arctic silver.

it'd be nice to see some pics of what you have to work with.

if you need ideas on places to put them. try the NB, SB and mosfets. i cut down a single coolermaster sink and it looks like i'll have enough to do all that plus some ram sinks for my GPU.

the best way to cut them up is with a hacksaw and then use a file and emery cloth to finish the cut edges

(some people would tell you to use a dremel but there not as fast and definatly not as easy)

if you're cutting a thinner metal than the dremel is great. for heatsinks with a thick base it's nice to have something beefier. i used a scroll saw and an electric grinder than finished with 600 grit.

Ok, thanks guys. So i am gonna attach 1 full sink to the NB and cut up the seconds one for mosfets, SB, and video card ram. How big should i cut them into? Can somebody give me the dimensions of pieces i need to cut so i can measure? Also will epoxy be strong enough to hold down a full stock AMD heatsink to a northbridge? I am scared it might fall off onto my video card and break it. Should i use some electical tape to secure it down too?

Last edited:
hey, love mods, i put my amd stock on my video card and it overclocked a bit more plus looks very cool, i think you should put one on your video card and one on your northbridge, put the northbridge hsf on your southbridge, no need to cut anything this way

here are my mods:

http://www.geneseo.edu/~rl8/razormods.htm

i planned to put a 60mm fan on the sk6+ on my northbridge but it didn't fit with the slk800 next to it, still boosted my stable fsb quite a big, wasn't 100% stable at 200fsb, now 100% stable at 205+fsb

epoxy is strong, just make sure you use the right amounts of each stick, my arctic silver epoxy using a 1:1 part A to part B is holding all my mods in their place

Ok, so epoxy will be fine to hold one of these sinks on. I have a good cooler on my vid, card, i am not gonna overclock it yet. When i do maybe i wil lget a heatpipe for it later one. Now how big should the sink be for my southbridge and mosfets though. Should the bottom be same size as it or should it be a little bit bigger? Same thing with mosfets? How big should it be?

Try to make the sinks as big as possible

Imo the best way to do it is to make a seperate sink for each mosfet that way you know they are making good contact but if your in a hurry then you could just make one to cover all of em

Back