• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k server - can't install update due to lack of digital signature...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
okay, here is the story. my win2k server box which hosts my website is being a pain. it keeps telling me this:

win2k_server.png

then when i hit "OK" it gives me a message that say "INF installation failure. Reason: No signature was present in the subject".

is there a way to get around this or something?

Check to make sure the Setupapi.dll file has a version number of at least 5.0.2195.4806 (I believe that file version was released with SP3). :)

You may want to check out the ...\winnt\setupapi.log file for anything suspicious looking (just to pre-warn you, the log file can be quite large). I'd also suggest running sfc /scannow (System File Checker) from the command prompt...it's possible the setupapi.dll file may be corrupt.

If that doesnt work, you may want to try uninstalling sp4 and use sp3, it may work then, then once you get it dl'ed just go back to sp4.
If that fails, try using Yahoo!'s version of IE6.(the same thing except for a few minor changes)

mbentley said:
yeah i checked the version number and it is 5.0.2195.6622 i have sp4 installed.

This is a known SP4 bug, do a Windows update, I think M$ released a patch for it...

Back