• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat sinked my mosfets on my NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Koala

Registered
No change in performance though... :mad:

Before
DCP_07381.JPG

After
Better%20look.JPG

I used the Heat Sink kit from Sidewinder computers and used Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive.

Is there any performance to be gained if you HS your mosfets, assuming you're stable already?

I see you have a Vantec heatsink on the NB. What is that HS on the SB? I am also running a 220 FSB, and I have noticed that the SB is really starting to get hot. I probably need to go ahead and put a HS on it. Thanks.

there ISNT supposed to be any performance gain...its to keep it cool.

i put a fan on mine blowing onto the sb, didnt want to epoxy a heatsink on it...if im not playing games, it stays cool.

The only real point of this is if you plan on volt modding the board so you can give it more than 1.8V, and want to make sure stability and longevity of the board is "better". Correct?

Edward2 said:
I see you have a Vantec heatsink on the NB. What is that HS on the SB? I am also running a 220 FSB, and I have noticed that the SB is really starting to get hot. I probably need to go ahead and put a HS on it. Thanks.

It's just the heat sink that came with the Vantec iceberg.

and why should there be a performance gain...
you aren't actually cooling anything. the top of the mosfets is plastic, so cooling it won't give you anything. you see that there is metal in the side of the mosfets. well that is what gets hotter and needs cooling. mosfets are cooled via motherboard through that metal.

so thatswhy mosfets are cooled from the bottom:
78_1_10_l.jpg

Teh Dude said:
and why should there be a performance gain...
you aren't actually cooling anything. the top of the mosfets is plastic, so cooling it won't give you anything. you see that there is metal in the side of the mosfets. well that is what gets hotter and needs cooling. mosfets are cooled via motherboard through that metal.

so thatswhy mosfets are cooled from the bottom:
78_1_10_l.jpg
the world isnt just black and white you know, Teh Dude. ANYTHING that gets hot can benifit from cooling. That included mosfets, whatever side you cool. The outer case of all common ic are also made from similar material. Are you saying its pointless putting a h/s on the north or southbridge?

if you were to touch those mosfet, you would know they do get quite toasty. Anything that helps cooling is a bonus.

The only real point of this is if you plan on volt modding the board so you can give it more than 1.8V, and want to make sure stability and longevity of the board is "better". Correct?

not exactly . while your statement is in the right direction cooling helps stability in cleaning the power to cpu also though not a noticeable amount untill you go so high that Vmodding is required. and as james said above ANYthing can benifit from cooling and if you touch a mosfet you will notice it gets hot or if you look through a thermal spectragraph you might go OMFG thats hot.

Back