• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best browser for an older computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orange400

I have a 486 laptop that is runnin just great, and I got my PC card-style NIC workin too. So now I need a browser for it, but I have a q ... which one should I use for this computer? It only uses 16 colors and uses a grayscale screen (color when plugged into vga). It has a 486/SL-25 Mhz processor in it and I have about 160 MB free space since I compressed the HD. I'm running windows 95 on the system. I would like to remove the compression and just run it like I used to, which would result in ~70MB free. Anyways, you get the idea.

What browser should I use for this laptop? I tried a newer version of opera, and it actually ran, but it was pretty slow. I could use mozilla, but I don't want to wait for it to load. And I _don't_ want to run IE. What would you reccomend? An older version of netscape perhaps?

have you looked at MozillaFirebird? It is only half the size of Mozilla and it is FAST!

Netscape, to me, is still one of the finest older browsers(not the crap they've put out since AOL grabbed them.)

Yeah I've been looking at that! It looks great but I wanna do some emailin too. But I might snag the other email client from mozilla for that. I tried installing the full mozilla 1.4 suite today and JEEZ the thing took so long to load!! It would sit with the hdd just rattlin away and after everything loaded it wouldn't even start ... it'd quit!

I'm gonna try firebird, it looks gerat!

I totally agree with stool too, I've also had some great experiences with older versions of netscape. I ran it when my lapper had distros of win16 platforms (win 3.x). Although I never got an internet connection at the time, it sure looked nice lol ...

aaa firebird doesn't work either ... it needs some win98 dlls ... maybe I'll try netscape ...

Back