• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

Hi everyone,

I have Corsair XMS3200 RAM from December 2002, and an ABIT NF7-S 2.0 mobo. I haven't started overclocking yet, but assuming I can hit the FSB that everyone else can, I think my RAM will be my limiting factor. I have a few questions:

1. Can I easily run this RAM at CAS2.5 or does it just like CAS2? I know this is a mobo setting by my problem in #2 may explain why I'm worried about this.

2. When I first installed my mobo and put the RAM in, I got the successive long beeps (RAM installed improperly). I had to take some of my brother's CAS2.5 old Micron DDR266 stuff, throw it in there, boot up, change my timings in the bios to 2-2-2-6, turn off, put in my Corsair RAM, then boot up for it to even post. The exact same problem occurred with my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. Is this normal, and if I am trying to overclock, am I going to have to switch the RAM out every time I overclock a bit too high and my system won't boot? (my case is VERY crowded around that area and is a huge pain in the ***).

3. Would it be better to have my RAM and FSB in sync at 400 with 2-2-2-6 timings and just change the multiplier on my CPU to achieve maximum frequency, or faster if I relax my RAM CAS latency to 2.5 and (whatever other timings go well with it , maybe you could tell me?) try to get my FSB and RAM clock as high as possible in sync? Or is it better to crank my FSB up as high as possible and run it out of sync with my RAM?

I know that's a lot but any responses would be greatly appreciated! Once it's up I'm putting all the power towards folding for team 32!!!

i think you could hit cas 2.5, im on my way as far as my setup goes. . . oh and the mem prob. . i had no problem with installing my 2 sticks in my 7NNXP 1st time i booted up reconized dual channel DDR and away it went. havent been overclocking cuz my PSU wont take it. good luck

1. You can run your ram at 2.5...I would leave it as low as possible for best performance. You will eventually have to up the latency most likely at some point and it is worth it for the Mhz.

2. You should be able to clear CMOS to boot at default settings without putting in different ram everytime.

3. It would be best to run your memory in sync at the highest FSB even if it means lowering the multiplier (i.e. 220*10 is better than 200*11). There is a point of diminishing returns, however, (say 220*10 or 225*9. 5Mhz on bus for 175Mhz slower cpu...the first is better)

Back