• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two AMD Processors die in 2 days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mata2974

My Duron 1GHz which was never overclocked on an Asus A7V MB, just died followed by the TBred B 2100XP in my sig within 24 hrs. I am wondering why my Tbred died though. I have been having problems with my bios Epox 8RDA+ scrambling and just freezing during boot up. This was random. I am trying to figure out if its MB that killed the processor or just my greed to max out processor with high voltages. I have had this chip for 6 mths, it would max out at 2350Mhz stable. I mostly operated it between 1.7-1.975V, 35 -40 degrees watercoled and never beyond. I was trying to overclock it when suddenly it wont boot, just the dreaded FF code, it turns out the processor died during this process. I just ordered a boxed DTL3C-0310 from excaliber. I dont trust this MB to put a new CPU into it, do yu guys think the death of the procssor was inevitable or the MB killed it prematurely or should I toss the EPOX MB to the dumpster:bang head

Hold on to those chips ...you can get the CPU code and not have a dead cpu I get it quite often on my abit when I am messing around with different things. Just turn the power off and system resets itself to a safemode 100mhz and all is fine then retry some new settings. My bet is you didn't kill you CPU unlesss you smelled something really stinky called BURNED up exploded CPU.

Power suppluy is the only thing that can take out the rest of your system.

It's very important for OC.

What brand of power supply do you have, if it's el cheapo or anything other than the few major brands, there's your CPU killer.

when I pulled TBred processor into another fuctional system, no boot.
I have Antec TruePwer 550W....anybody had similar problems?

OK, excellent power supply, be sure you list it in your sig, it's at the top of the list of OC problem diagnostics.

Needless to say, you let things cool down over night, CMOS reset, make sure everything is seated properly, including cooling and all the cables, especially RAM, after waiting over night and micro checking all the connections, can you still not boot?

(Did you check for CPU burn marks?)

Followed these directions?
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm

Last edited:
It's the old debate again: Will averaging 2.x V kill your CPU fast?
I think it will, others say it will just reduce the CPU life cycle a little, and that it's OK, esp. with water cooling...

check your thermal grease application, i got similar problems thinking it was the chip, what i found out was that i was using conductive thermal grease, thinking that it wasn't conductive, i got so mad that i took a hammer to one of my 2100+s live and learn i guess....

I did examine the chip on both sides , it looks okay but the edges around the heat spreader right around the core, are kind of dark brown-black and seem to be bulging out, maybe its just my eyes I wish I could compare it to an identical chip. I will see when the 1700 comes along-On this one I decided to buy the boxed one differences of $13, they guaranteed the stepping though, 3 yr warranty from AMD, what do you think-I am sure when I open that box it will be as advertised-DTL3C-0310

Back