• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500+ showing as Mobile processor??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

69Goat

Registered
I tried to blow the bridges on my 2500+ using the 9v trick. Well it didn't work and my system would not boot. So I reconected the bridges using silve conductive paint. Now CPU ID and Sandra report the CPU as a Mobile XP processor.

The system seems to be running ok and I can overclock it to 170x12.5. I tried re-flashing the BIOS and Clearing the CMOS, but it still reads mobile.

Any ideas?

I have a Asus A7V333 v1.01 (BIOS 1016)

Sorry about your accident.

If the VIA chipset won't ley you go with high FSB because of no PCI lock, why mess with CPU bridges again?

EDIT: On this chipset:

2500+ or 1700+ you'll get the multipliers from 5 to 12.5
2700+ or 2800+ you'll see the mulitpliers from 12.5 to like 22

Last edited:
My FSB maxes out at 170. I was trying to get the higher multipliers 13+, but it didn't work. Before I did this the CPU reported as a Barton 2500+. Now it reports as a Mobile Barton.

I was trying to find out if anyone knew why this happened.

EDIT: On this chipset:

2500+ or 1700+ you'll get the multipliers from 5 to 12.5
2700+ or 2800+ you'll see the mulitpliers from 12.5 to like 22 [/B]

I know. That's why I cut the bridges on the chip. If you cut the 3rd and 5th L3 bridge it will give you the multipliers 13 & up.

Why screw around with 'blowing' the bridges? Do a little research about the speeds attained with your particular stepping and production date CPU and aim for that using the wire-in-socket method.

Damn easy to do. Check the pin mod guide here: www.ocinside.de

Just curious but when you blew the bridges - what multiplier were you trying to set it to? Often chosing the higher multis once the mod has been done will result in no boot or very high multis. What you should try is choosing a multi 8 less than you actually want (so for say 15 you choose a multi of 7). Also note that often the multis 13,13,5 and 14 are unavailable when doing this mod - dependant on mobo so avoid using those. Also try booting up at 100FSB just in case you hit a high multi so you know the mod has worked and the problem is not related to trying to overclock too high.

Last edited:
OC Detective said:
Just curious but when you blew the bridges - what multiplier were you trying to set it to? Often chosing the higher multis once the mod has been done will result in no boot or very high multis. What you should try is choosing a multi 8 less than you actually want (so for say 15 you choose a multi of 7). Also note that often the multis 13,13,5 and 14 are unavailable when doing this mod - dependant on mobo so avoid using those. Also try booting up at 100FSB just in case you hit a high multi so you know the mod has worked and the problem is not related to trying to overclock too high.

I read a couple of articles/posts that if you cut/blow the 3rd & 5th L3 bridges you'll get multiplier's 13 & up. So far the system is running ok, the CPU is just showing up as a mobile processor.

Back