• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with CPU Temps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dethshaft

Hey duders hows it hanging:)

I am pretty new to this computer stuff(only been doing it since June) and I got some questions. The last 3 days I have been looking at the forums nonstop and decided I had to join!

Right now I am running an Intel Pentium 4 2.4 @2.66 and my Idle temps are usually between 40-42 and my Load(after running Sandra 99 times with Multimedia benchmark on high priority) are on average around 53. I recently lapped the stock heatsink with 600/1500 grit sandpaper and I can see my beautiful face pretty nice! I also removed that wax crap and tried my hardest to apply some Arctic Silver Ceramique to the CPU which was alot harder then I thought. BTW I have 5 case fans:2 in, 2 out, and one on the side by the Radeon

Now my questions are 1) I know the Abit boards are notorious for giving out high temp readings and I have a better chance of meeting the pope then I do of Abit changing the calculations so exactly how would I go about with a thermal sensor and which should I buy (The Digi Doc looked nice). 2) How the hell do you spread the thermal compound evenly. Everyone makes it look so easy but the credit card trick was not working.

Anyways its good to be on board and I hope to learn alot here.:cool:

1) I believe that any thermal sensor will do you good. I've always liked the simplicity of a PC Nurse (just 1 or 2 LED for temp readings). But, Digi Docs work just as well. You'll want to place the sensor as close to the heat spreader as possible, but not on top of it. Also, you may want to add a little bit of thermal goop to the end of the sensor to make sure it is getting the heat.

2) Spreading over that big heatspreader is a bit of a challenge. I have always preferred getting a little glop of thermal in the middle, using the inside of a sandwich bag and rubbing it in and spreading it fully, then take a credit card or razor blade and go very lightly over it, just to make sure all the mountains in the goop are evened out to the rest of it. A horrible application of goop as compared to an amazing application is only around 4-6c. It's considerable, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Hope that helps!

I definately found that the "finger in a baggie" method of applying the TIM was the best. If your heatsink is well lapped then you only need a tiny layer (almost translucent) of goop for good performance of your HSF. Personally, I think trying to smooth it perfectly is kind of a waste of time. You are going to put two almost perfectly falt surfaces together, and that will make the TIM go where it need to be, if it was well applied in the first place.

My temps (on air, of course) dropped by 2 or so C when I re-applied the goop on my CPU and HS. I used the method described above and on the Arctic Silver 3 website, using an almost translucent layer. Remember, the paste is only to fill the tiny voids left after lapping, etc, not to separate the two surfaces.
You only want enough to fill the tiny scratches and such on the HS or waterblock.

sounds good guys! Right now I am running Prime 95 to see if there is a decrease in temp of the CPU and it looks like it dropped about 10 C from the temps I was getting before. With the wax pad and a non-lapped heatsink I was reaching 65 but now it barely goes above 57 which in Abit temp means 47 haha. I think I will end up getting one of those SLK 900U's before I overclock anymore just to be safe. I guess those temps arent that bad considering I am next to a boiler room and it is 90 degrees outside! BTW I will check out that compunurse, the cheaper the better! But I might need a fan controller is I end up using a 92 MM fan on the heatsink.

BTW does anyone know what the PWM stands for in temp programs? That one reaches above 60 every now and then when running prime 95 so whatever that is I wanna rectify that soon.

I plan on replacing my NB fan as well but there are threads on that already I reckon.

Does your board support the CPU on-die sensor? You can find out on the MBM website if that's what you use to watch your temps. If you plan on getting an SLK-900U with a 92mm fan, and turn it down, you should consider going with an 80mm Smart Fan II (better static pressure, better performance). If you can handle the slight noise level (I say slight because I compare it to a tornado, which I used to have) then you can turn it up to full speed and get great performance.

Zoilo said:
Does your board support the CPU on-die sensor? You can find out on the MBM website if that's what you use to watch your temps. If you plan on getting an SLK-900U with a 92mm fan, and turn it down, you should consider going with an 80mm Smart Fan II (better static pressure, better performance). If you can handle the slight noise level (I say slight because I compare it to a tornado, which I used to have) then you can turn it up to full speed and get great performance.

Thats a good point! Cause I am most likely going to turn it down anyways so why not skip the hastle and money with a fan controller.

EDIT: well I just ordered a Compu nurse 2 LED sensor and an SLK 900U with a Vantec 92 mm fan. I plan on getting a better fan but this already ran me $80!!

BTW I think the reason why Abit gives off high readings is because the sensor is located on the Die of the CPU. I still think it is bull though because the inside of my case is 29 C and the board says it is 33. Abit obviously do not value its customers intelligence:mad:

Last edited:
Back