• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Gold Dual Channel - would you buy it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamespetts

I'm in the process of putting together a specification for my new computer (P4c based, which I'm hoping to overclock), and I'm having a difficult time deciding on what RAM to buy.

My latest thought is to get the OCZ Gold Dual Channel optimised kit (2x256MB modules of PC3700 CL 2-3-3-7).

Does anyone have any experiences with this RAM? I've used older OCZ PC3200 CL2.5 RAM in a system before (not overclocked) before PC3200 was a proper standard, and it's working fine, but it's hard to judge anything by that.

I had hoped to get a single 512Mb module of the PC3700 Gold, but OCZ don't do them any bigger than 256.

Does this seem like a sensible choice?

It may be hard to find the PC-3700 Gold, as we have allocated our manufacturing resources to PC4000 mostly. However, I can assure you that for running syncronously with the FSB, the OCZ Gold PC3700 is some of the best memory we have ever made. Most users are getting 500 MHZ out of it.

If you purchase OCZ, you have your own personal rep right here to answer questions or respond to comments.

a month ago i was in love with it.. but you gotta check out the adata pc4000.. so far its killin everything out there and at a lower price....

I got the PC3700 DC Gold b/c I was unlikely to get to 250fsb (even tho I wished it so hard). I think it was a good choice since my CPU seems to be crapping out at around 245 fsb 1:1. Wish I could see how far these could OC...

flapperhead said:
a month ago i was in love with it.. but you gotta check out the adata pc4000.. so far its killin everything out there and at a lower price....

Sure its killin' everything out there but where can you buy it? Only place I know of is in England and it ain't cheap with tax & shipping added on to it. Do you have a link to some cheap A-data?

flapperhead said:

waaaaaaaa,waaaaaa me want adata too!!!!. seriously congrats, let me know how they do. (ps where did u buy it?)

I bought it at the site in your link you posted. www.overclockers.co.uk

It was more expensive but I am tired of playing around with so called fast ram (geil pc4200:rolleyes: ) and just went for it 227 pounds = $363

its the onlt piece of kit england has readily available that the US doesnt! :D makes me so proud... hehe

Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds)
DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Adata 256MB DDR PC4000 CAS 3 2 £49.95 £99.90
(MY-005-AD)
======================================================================
Subtotal: £99.90
Shipping (Royal Mail International Priority Signed Fo £8.90
Total: £108.80

Works out to about $173-175US for 2x256 sticks Shipped from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

I have no problem with OCZ so dont take this as a flame... they do make some of the best DDR on the market. The customer service is wonderful and they do back their product... Its just the cost I have an issue with. As long as the cost is outrageous OCZ will join Corsair as never being in one of my systems.

Back