• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Security Updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Are security updates a necessary download? I just got a new OS for my comp and there are like 20 something security updates. How many of you download these, and how many dont?

If they are critical updates yes they are. I always download the updates. I know that there are like 1 per week it seems with Windows XP. They are patches that help your computer not be vulnerable to letting your personal information out among other issues.

they slow my comp down alot though, do you have this problem?

Security updates are necessary if you want to keep your computer and your personal information as safe as possible.

The main reason why the W32.Blaster.Worm is such a big issue was that people did not head Microsoft's Critical Security Bulletin posted on July 16, 2003.

If a security update tends to slow systems usually a correction patch will be released

Kendan said:

There was one security update a while ago that caused this. It has since been fixed AFAIK.

Yes I think it was. Make sure when you are running Windows Update you download all the updates not just the security patches.

Back