• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahhhh!!! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nanidin

Ok so I got my 1700+ JIUHB 0310, got all excited decided to try it make sure I didnt need to rma it. So I took out my duron 1000ghz with stock cooler, saw it was really dirty and took the fan off, cleaned it out. Then I put the fan on(this is where things start to go wrong) backwards(I didn't know). It booted into bios fine, set fsb to 133 so it would post as a 1700+. Temperatures were still climbing, but not near 60 degrees yet so I decided to boot xp. Once I got into xp, mbm starts popping up telling me that sensor 3(diode) is registering as 87 degrees, but sensor 1(asus1) says 47 so I continued on. I shut mbm off and loaded asus probe, cpu reports as 47, I figure I'm fine, my probe was coming in at about 57 so I figured I was fine. Loaded prime95 torture test, seconds after starting it, my probe starts beeping (65 degrees and rising!) so i shut off my computer. I turned it back on and it went to bios fine, bios reported temperature at about :eek: 107:eek: degrees. I shut it off and removed the processor, didn't smell anything burning but saw a grayish shape on the left side of the die, and the little things that I've circled in the pics below (each one is between 2 gold spots) appear to be indented and dark brown. Swapped back to the duron which is what I'm on now, let me know what you guys think.

cpu2nan.JPG

cpunan.JPG

I was using my dad's powershot s100, but I couldn't get a good picture it seems.

Just putting the fan on backwards should have caused your temps to skyrocket. Possibly it was mounted crooked?

What kind of HSF are you using?

the "splotch" next to the die is the glue used to hold the die to the wafer. all chips have it. your darker browns are where the bridges were burned at the factory. all par for the course. i say you got no worries. fire that baby back up!

Stock duron 1ghz , which I know was a bad idea from the start but i needed to make sure it wasnt DOA because its going to be a while before I get my cooling together. Glad to know that the "professional" opinion says I'm not screwed :D Still, holy hell, 107 degrees, talk about burn in!

I think you probably got lucky and it will be fine...I'll bet you never put a HS on backwards again.

Yeah I feel retarded now that every picture I see of 1700's have the exact same brown marks on them... I figured I just burnt 70 bucks into the ground.

You got luckier than me, I once turned on a Duron 950 with out the Heatsink, it smells bad.

Weird because right when I got my board I wanted to test the auto shutdown when overheating and I turned on my duron 1ghz without the hs on, it showed the logo then shut off and here I am typing away :)

I didnt have the cpu protection back then, I had a KT133 board. I wouldnt want to test the overheating protection, just in case, specially with a barton.

so your saying you used a duron 1ghz heatsink on a 1700+ shouldn't you be useing a heatsink rated for a 1700+ or better sence your overclocking if thats the case that could be your problem right there

I booted it at stock speeds with no intentions of doing anything other than booting and making sure it worked and did not in fact need to be RMA'd. I figured the 1ghz duron cooler would be adequate for such a short amount of time...

Back