• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal grease on RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

Good idea or waste of time? Is there anything other than CPU which thermal grease can be used for?

I hope you are thinking about attaching some kind of heat spreader or heatsink and not about just smearing it on the connections.

7h3r4py said:
Good idea or waste of time? Is there anything other than CPU which thermal grease can be used for?

Very BAD idea...unless you don't like your ram and MB...

thermal grease is conductive. it'll fry your memory. thats why glock advised against it. but feel free to prove us wrong about it being conductive ;)

zabomb4163 said:
thermal grease is conductive. it'll fry your memory. thats why glock advised against it. but feel free to prove us wrong about it being conductive ;)

Only certain compounds are conductive, like Artic Silver 3. Artic Silver Ceramique, however, is non-conductive.

~DP

All I am going to say on this is " its your funeral".
I wouldn't do it. There are VERY little benefits from even using spreaders on RAM. They are mainly for show. More air movement in the general area is better than a heatsink and no air movement. ( I wish I knew where that link was for the effectiveness of ram sinks)

Why do people feel they need to cool their RAM? What kind of speeds are you guys running. Absolutely no reason to do that, heatspreader and ramsinks are all are WORTHLESS for RAM. It won't hurt to provide some FRESH air over the ram modules, but don't waste your time with spreaders and such. Besides ram usually flakes out because of BIOS settings being too aggressive, not because of heat. Focus your time on cooling your NB.

Last edited:
Ceramique is not an epoxy "The suspension fluid is a proprietary mixture of advanced polysynthetic oils" (from your link). I would consider it a non-conductive thermal grease.

You can call it grease, you can call it goop, you can call it thermal compound, etc. ;) You can’t call it epoxy. Ceramique is a thermal compound not a thermal adhesive.

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.
[email protected]

zabomb4163 said:

Arctic Silver's Ceramique is NOT thermal greese. its a type of epoxy, and no, it does not have silver in the name. thanks for trying to prove somone wrong before you got your facts straight.

What does that have to do with anything? Arctic Silver is a Company by the way. Duh.

i remember reading a guide somewhere for this mod, what you do is use scotch tapes and tape up the connectors on the ram chips leaving only the center of each ram untaped. This way you can apply thermal grease without having it contact with the ram connectors.

The memory chips are coated with a black material which does not seem to be a good heat conducter it rather looks like an insulating material (kind of plastic or epoxy).

I don't think that ram HS's are worth spending money anyway, So what do you expect to gain by additionally messing up with thermal grease. Don't try it, it's pointless.

IMO, it is more or less pointless. you'd be better off w/ a fan blowing on the ram, or an active memory cooling kit. as squirtle said, heat spreaders don't help very much either. you could try thermal tape, but again, it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Back