• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to put hard drives in a Lian-Li case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

My new Lian-Li PC65B arrived today :D:D woot!

...anyways, I was wondering where would be the best place to mount the hard drives to maximise airflow. Lian-Li cases have the 3.5 drive bay cage thing right infront of the two intake fans at the front bottom, this cage can hold five drives vertically and four (I think) horizontally. There is also three 3.5 drive bays above the intake fans in the usual position for the floppy disk drive. There is four 5.25 drive bas at the top aswell.

Now my PC has two hard drives so I was going to put one in the bottom bay of the three bays, if you get what I mean. So it is like:

Floppy
---empty---
Hard drive 1

Now I am unsure where to put the second hard drive. I do not want to block the intake fans airflow too much because I am not overly worried about cooling the hard drives, although I would like the main hard drive with the OS on to be slightly cooled. I was thinking of putting the main HDD in a vertical position to the back of the case, by back I mean away from the window so its next to the side the motherboard attached to.

My top 5.25 bay is filled with a fan controller that has room to hold a HDD but it would be above the CDRW and DVD drive and have no airflow so I thought this was a bad place to position it.

Is this setup a good idea or is there better? I am just looking for confirmation really or a suggestion for something I missed. :)

just put one hard drive in the middle of the tray at the bottom....it's not really going to affect airflow...and it's not going to kill your pc to put one there...lol...i'd put one on the bottom and one below the floppy...

wow that case looks sexy, i was looking for a black aluminum w/ 120mm intake and exhaust, but all of them didnt looks as nice/have removeable mobo tray, i like the fan that they added to the top too. How much did you pay for this case and where di u get it?

Heh I took a pic of it :D

140803-yayayya.JPG

I paid £115.15 for it and got it from www.over-clock.com. If you are American you should halve the price when you convert it because we get ripped off here in England :\

I like the pre-made blowhole too, saves me the bother of making my own. Becareful though because they only just introduced this feature so its best to check you are getting a newer one with it.

Another feature I did not know about but was pleasantly surprised when I found it is a small switch below the power and reset swtiches on the front of the case. It is a sliding switch which has three positions (low, medium, high) and it controls the two intake fans. I also like how you get four fans with it :)

The only problem is finger marks on the black surface. After I got the case out the box and had looked it all over it was covered in finger prints that were very noticable. A quick wipe over and they were gone but could be annoying.

If you want close-up pics of any parts of it let me know and I will take some.

are yu getting the stealth drives? i have a black liteon dvd burner and cd-rw i wonder if it will match well with this case?

I would recommend having both your HDs in the 5.25" one behind the fan controller and one right below. If you put them too far away you will never be able to reach them both to put them on the one IDE cable.

Here is what i just did with my hard drive. I only have one, but i had to relocate it since i just put in my watercooling in. I had to remove the drive cage in the bottom (Where i previously had my HD, mainly to keep it cool). Then i had to cut the 3.5" holder, so now only my floppy fit in. I had to make a 3.5"->5.25" adapter for my HD. Now it is sitting under my burner.

Ignore the bad wire management, i am still making sure my WCing is going to be fine then I am going to clean it up
LianLiPC65a.jpg

If you look hard you can see the power connector coming out of the third 5.25"
LianLiPC65b.jpg

Just because this was such a pain, i decided to show you what i did with the 3.5" bay :D

That thing came with 4 120mm fans in it? I am gonna go buy one of those! Then I will go and buy those Enermax 120mm fans with 94 cfm at 30 dba. That will be a sweet and quiet case. Do you know what the cfm and noise level is on those fans?

Nick Burns said:
That thing came with 4 120mm fans in it? I am gonna go buy one of those! Then I will go and buy those Enermax 120mm fans with 94 cfm at 30 dba. That will be a sweet and quiet case. Do you know what the cfm and noise level is on those fans?

No it actually comes with 4 80mm fans and a speed selector on the front behind the cover plate. There is a model that is the same as that one with a 92mm fan on the window which is the one I have :D. They are nice cases too.

man i have a pc65B too and i hate to see anyone take a saw to it ;d although you did a nice job ;x it still hurts to see such a beatiful case mauled up ;x

Lian-Li

here's a pretty good image collection of the lian li 6083...the blue led bar lights are pretty cool and it closely matches the cd in tray loaded light on my new MSI 52x32x52 cd-rw...aluminum is awesome

Lian Li 6083

click "more images"

TheCor4D said:
Ignore the bad wire management, i am still making sure my WCing is going to be fine then I am going to clean it up
I'll show you bad wire management! :D Abysmal, even allowing for the wire mess the 5 hard drives in the bottom HD holder contribute...and it's become worse since I took the photo; I added a fan controller.
(Click for bigger photo)
cherryp00t said:
man i have a pc65B too and i hate to see anyone take a saw to it ;d although you did a nice job ;x it still hurts to see such a beatiful case mauled up ;x
Yeah it took me a while to muster the courage to do this:
(Click for bigger photo)
It turned out well, thankfully:
(Click for bigger photo)

just put the hard drive in the tray at the bottom of the case, right behind the two 80mm fans. that way your HDD stays cool, and it doesnt effect airflor, nearly at all, so dont worry about that.

ooo someone bumped this thread up, i have it sorted now, yesterday i spent the afternoon putting my pc together, i found nice spots for both hard drives, and if you want to see bad wire management... omg i think its impossible to tidy the amount of wires i have in my case, there is millions of them going everywhere :rolleyes:

oh and no matter what anyone says, building a pc is so easy, i had never made one before and it just took me about five hours in the afternoon (including lapping), the only problem i had was the floppy disk drive light being on constantly and i knew that meant the cable was on the wrong way round, apart from that and getting arctic silver all over the table lol it was simple, i think studying business IT at uni might have helped some :D

Back