• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Up and Running @500 Geil PC4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxshwagg

Registered
well i have to say that i am suprised. the 2 x 512mb Geil pc4200 sticks i got today are up and running at 1:1 250 without a hitch. i was worried they wouldn't hit this speed at the 2.8V max of my ic7-g but they are fine and at CAS 2.5 no less. my proc is maxed out so i can't test any higher but i am confortable that they will run at spec if i run at cas 3. who know what they will do with some proper juice.

only used corsair up to now but for $330 for a set compared to $380 for corsair and an insane 430 for ocz, these sticks are the winner.

so far they passed memtest looped 10 times and prime 95 for an hour. will keep them priming all night.

very nice.

maxx

Dang bro! Must be nice! I RMA'ed my 1gig of Geil pc4200 back to newegg today for a full refund. The $ won't register back into my accont until next week when they get thier 2 crappy sticks of crap back. I could only get mine upto 450mhz on the 4:5 @ 2.8 v-dimm. Might be the mobo don't know for sure. But I do know that they wouldn't even do DDR500 so....back they went. I just pre-ordered the Abit Max 3 which will ship next Thur. Maybe I can find some decent ram by then?

can never have a fast enough computer to do CAD 3d modeling....
even with a system this fast complex models still render slow when you are zooming, rotating, etc....

on my ic7-g i can only run 1:1 and 5:4 not any of the other ratios. think it is a bios problem....so i can only test it to ddr500, which is fine with me. i pre-ordered a max3 but cancelled the order since i do not need the extra vdimm for now. think i'll wait until the next major processor/vid card refresh when pci express comes out before i buy a new motherboard, gpu, and cpu...

My rig is up and running as well.

2.4C
2x512 Geil PC4200
IC7-G

Highest I could run 1:1 was 258, this is at 3, 7, 4, 4 timings which are geil's spec. vDimm @ 2.8, of course... wasn't very stable. 250 runs like butter, prime is still going after 3+ hours. My 5:4 ratio seems to be extremely buggy, as others are reporting. I tried 290, 280, and 275 and none of them would leave me in windows long enough to run anything at all. Very disappointing, hopefully this gets fixed in the mag 3.

I will do more testing tomorrow evening, and BIOS hunt. I'll either be voltmodding my ic7g later on, or building someone else a rig with it if people have good experiences with the max3.

*BTW this is watercooled w/ D-tek WW, danner Mag5, D-tek chevette core w/shroud, 2x 120mm panaflos, running distilled/eth. glycol in a 90-10 ratio. NB still has stock hsf, but not for long. :)

unbuffered sandra

unbuffered.jpg

Nice results, how long did your run prime before you stopped or it gave errors?

I have IS7-G sitting in the closet to be installed in a new case I just built, and I had to RMA some Geil Dragon mem back because it crapped out on me, but I am getting some replacements here soon, and will try thme out in the IS7-G before I give up on them and stick them in one of my work puters. 3500, not 4200.

Was able to get the Mushkin 3500s to a 235 fsb @ 2.5-3-3-7, but haven't explored any higher. I don't think my AX4C can't handle anymore:)

ran prime all night no problems, memtest all day no problems. system stable so far, no crashes using pro-e for hours last night. noticably more resposive with ram at 1:1.....

Thats a phenomonal OC at 1:1; I attempted to get the Mushkin to OC @ 1:1 and could not get it it to boot at 240 using the above settings. In fact your the first person I know to get a 250 @ 1:1 with a 2.8c stable.

What are the manufacturing specs on the CPU you have? Is it Stepping 9, D1?

I am curious, as I have read that unbuffered is a truer reflection of the mems performance. My unbuffered is at 3700s, but my buffered only hits 5400s. This is at 250 FSB 1.60 ratio on mem running at 400 2-5-2-2. I would appreciate any insight into this bench and the significance of the unbuffered vs. buffered, and why my unbuffered are higher, but my buffered seem to be crap. Even though I think it may bein part that you seem to be using Sandra 2003 pro, not newest Max 2003 version. This may explain some of the discrepancy. Am I correct on the version?

One final thing, is HT enabled or disabled on your board?

I have had great results so far with my Geil Plainum PC4000 (2x256) so far. As you can see from my sig, I'm currently at 255 FSB and running 1:1 with 2.5-5-4-4 and Turbo mode enabled.

Only problem I've had so far is not being able to enable Street Racer or F1 modes without locking up the system just before Windows boots. I tried relaxing the timings to 3-8-4-4, but still no luck with either mode.

My next step, I'm going to try for 260-275 FSB with 3:2 or 5:4 and see if I will be able to enable Street Racer and F1 and compare performance to my curent settings. I'm scoring 6000 as well on buffered Sandra.

220803-UO0036.jpg

I'm still running some burn in tests on it while I'm at work, since it's only 2 days old. I'm hoping some more burning in will allow me to enable Street Racer or F1 in 1:1 mode. And with the new bios coming out next week allowing for over 255 FSB at 1:1, I should be able to get some real nice numbers.

The bottom line is, this is some really great ram for only $150.

my 2.8c is a malaysia chip. got it right when they came out. done really nice for me.

pack date 4/10/03 sl6wj

running at 1.675V. i have had the system running at 250 1:1 for a week now without a single crash, whether games of CAD or whatever. i definately notice the difference between 5:4 which i was running before with the memory running at 400 and things running at 1:1 and the mem at 500.

my system is so damn stable it is boring. tried to tighten the timings some, didn't work but CAS 2.5 4 4 7 is damn good. i was expecting to have to run at CAS 3. maybe if my mb has more VDimm then i could tighten the timings a bit. Think i am going to wait until the next generation of chips and chipsets is released to upgrade. Next big jump in speed will come from the next generation of video cards coming out the beginning on next year..........

Inositle said:
god man, I wish I had your system~!
very nice indeed!

3.5Ghz on a 1:1 250 FSB :drool: , not bad

same happend to my geils - only could get em to 450 i have a sinxp1394 board though

Back