• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800U/A: Do you think Thermalright is taking advantage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aaron Burton

I heard some comments on my last thread that the quality of the current SLK-800's has deteriorated, and that the currently shipping HSF's are vastly outperformed by the first several batches... It sounds like Thermalright may be taking advantage of the good publicity that it's HSF has gotten, and has started to produce a cheaper product.

What do you think?

Hmm... just got a 900u but haven't installed it yet. I hope it does as well as the 800s I've had.

So if the 800's quality is deteriorating is the 900's still good or am I going to require two lapping kits when I order it? lol

My last 900 had a very rough surface. SO much so i had to lap it for 6 hours to get it flat. I just ordered a new and i will let you know how it goes.:mad:

What I've seen so far...

A friend of mine just got in his parts yesterday for his first box and I helped him put it together last night... he ordered an SLK-800a.

I'll be damned if the base of the heatsink wasn't set at a 30 degree angle. It was NOT flat at all. Maybe that's how they come (I haven't done research on the thing). All I know is, I was scared to put it on and thought it over for a good 10 minutes before even trying. It had "instant core chipper" written all over it.

Anyone know what's up with that? Am I a complete n00b and that's how they're supposed to be? Or did they mess this one up at the factory?

I did take pics that clearly show the incline of the base... can post them if anyone is interested.

swiftech MCX462+ looks really good for all you AMD users. It has almost the same performance as SLK series and it looks bad-*** with the helecoid thing. Also you can buy an extra 92 mm brackets for like $5 for and stick a 92mm fan on it instead of an 80 mm.

masterchief said:
dang... i just ordered an 800a

I just got one the other day. AWESOME heatsink. I doubt that Thermalright is not making them as well as they used to. I wouldn't be a bit worried if I were you.

i have a 900u i'll be lapping and testing out tomorrow... i'll see if it's worth the $$ soon enough.

i bought an 800 a and it was worthless. i got way better temps with the stock hs fan from the barton then the 800. totally bogus

CVW said:
i bought an 800 a and it was worthless. i got way better temps with the stock hs fan from the barton then the 800. totally bogus

Well then you must have mounted it incorrectly. :)

CVW said:

You either mounted it incorrectly or didn't properly apply thermal paste. The 800 will outperform a stock HSF easily.

Back